Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you heard of a soprano sax or tenor sax with a Low A?

I noticed a few songs which go down to Low A in jazz books on the Bb version. This would not be a problem for a clarinet or trumpet, but it I don't know what to do on sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
never heard of one but it is usually a transposition error when they were writing, usually on hand written parts that I've seen

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Have any of you heard of a soprano sax or tenor sax with a Low A?

I noticed a few songs which go down to Low A in jazz books on the Bb version. This would not be a problem for a clarinet or trumpet, but it I don't know what to do on sax.
Take it up an octave. Or play it in a different key. (After getting agreement from the rest of the band first, of course!) Or break the line or substitute another note, as appropriate.

Heck, I've seen charts with baritone sax parts showing a low Ab! Although that wasn't as bad as the one that was written in bass clef, but still transposed to Eb, or the one that was written for an F instrument (French horn) but labeled "baritone sax".

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Take it up an octave. Or play it in a different key. (After getting agreement from the rest of the band first, of course!) Or break the line or substitute another note, as appropriate.
this! Or take an alto sax....

Real Books/Jazz Books are not meant to work like a part for a special instrument. They are only a transposition from a concert leadsheet and you do whatever you have to do to make it work on your instrument.

·
14,268 Posts
I just alter/improvise the usual melody-line when playing my Bb soprano if it requires a note lower than concert Ab. I recently joined a group that has an occasional female vocalist. She is superb, but when she does LA VIE EN ROSE, we do it in G and that required a melody note down to concert G below my lowest note. What I do is all improv so I just varied the melody line a bit. I'm the only horn in the group.

And yes, I tried the knee-trick but that only gave me muffled sound that was worse than varying the melody. Going up an octave proved to be too high for the ensemble-blend. DAVE

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I just alter/improvise the usual melody-line when playing my Bb soprano if it requires a note lower than concert Ab. I recently joined a group that has an occasional female vocalist. She is superb, but when she does LA VIE EN ROSE, we do it in G and that required a melody note down to concert G below my lowest note. What I do is all improv so I just varied the melody line a bit. I'm the only horn in the group.

And yes, I tried the knee-trick but that only gave me muffled sound that was worse than varying the melody. Going up an octave proved to be too high for the ensemble-blend. DAVE
why not play it on alto flute? I keep trying to find excuses to play alto flute, C soprano, and bass sax.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
As I say to the lead trumpet player with a case of Maynard syndrome,

"Take it up an octave and leave it out!"

·
14,268 Posts
After all these years, I'm done with schlepping several instruments and a carry-on-like bag to gigs. Besides NOT playing flute, I can do most everything on soprano, my main axe. No one seemed to notice that I did not play the low concert G in that melody - and I'm not bound to any written arrangement anyway. DAVE

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
After all these years, I'm done with schlepping several instruments and a carry-on-like bag to gigs. Besides NOT playing flute, I can do most everything on soprano, my main axe. No one seemed to notice that I did not play the low concert G in that melody - and I'm not bound to any written arrangement anyway. DAVE
I sure hear where you're coming from on the schleppage. Somehow my load gets bigger every year, not smaller. Sometimes I wish I could be one of those guys who says "hey, I play tenor (or whatever) and I play that only" and just carry the one horn. But then someone calls me up and says "Hey man, can you sub for me Thursday on alto/flute/baritone/soprano/bass sax/upright bass/accordion/crumhorn/theorbo/tromba marina? It pays $15 and gas money" and like an idiot I say "Yeah, sure, cool!" and I find myself bringing an alphorn and a harpsichord to the gig.

OK, I exaggerate, but I do feel a bit like a beast of burden sometimes.

I remember reading about some band, I think it was Goodman, that had an arrangement where three or four of the sax players doubled on bass clarinet. If all the guys set up all the bass clarinets on the stand, he'd never call the chart; but if they left them in the cases, he would invariably call it just to make 'em sweat.

·
14,268 Posts
I've heard some Goodman stories before (from those who knew him) and that one seems to fit right in with what I'd heard. DAVE

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Heck, I've seen charts with baritone sax parts showing a low Ab! Although that wasn't as bad as the one that was written in bass clef, but still transposed to Eb, or the one that was written for an F instrument (French horn) but labeled "baritone sax".
I was thinking that.

I'm more curious as to whether any company has made or attempted to make a soprano or tenor with a Low A. I know there are some older Low A altos and Low A baris are regularly available for purchase now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts