Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I honestly don't see how this could possibly happen..

I hate writing instrument horror stories like this, but this is unnecessarily stupid. I don't completely hate Music & Arts, but I'm not fond of them either. I go there occasionally to buy reeds, because they are the closest music store to my house. I ordered a Yamaha YCL 221II Bass Clarinet through them. They sold me my first ever horn, I assumed this would be just as smooth a transaction. I went in store and showed the lady on the computer the horn I wanted, and I said the full name multiple times. I wait exactly one week, I call to see if my horn is in. They tell me yes. I talk about going in and picking it up, and I ask if it is the Yamaha just to be sure. But guess what it was? Nope, not a Yamaha YCL-221II, or a YCL-220... they sent me an Artley. (Bundy stencil.) So I say oh, that must not be my horn then. The guy tells me "Nope, this is yours. It's the only Bass Clarinet we've had to order in a long time." So I tell him I ordered a Yamaha, and he says on the computer it says "No brand specified", so the lady must have put that. Then he tells me "Oh, well we probably didn't have any in the warehouse so they sent you this instead."

I'm sorry, but to me neither of those excuses are acceptable. I specifically showed her what brand I wanted, why would they assume I didn't care what brand I was spending money on? And if they didn't have one in the warehouse, why would they assume I would go ahead and spend money on a Bundy? -_- I'm not paying for it.

Are there any good places to buy instruments from anymore? End rant.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,247 Posts
Try hysonmusic.com - It is the online version of "Paul Effman Music" where I work. I know they will get you what you want.

Charlie

·
Registered
65 Posts
I share your pain. I once ordered a ligature from a music store in my area and after 3 months it was still "on order" even after repeated visits and phone calls. Either way, I eventually asked for my money back and went elsewhere.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I share your pain. I once ordered a ligature from a music store in my area and after 3 months it was still "on order" even after repeated visits and phone calls. Either way, I eventually asked for my money back and went elsewhere.
Yep, I had exactly that same thing happen when I order a Rovner lig from Saied Music. I eventually ordered it online for half the price and got it in three days.

This bass clarinet story is inexcusable. No one that knows anything about playing any musical instrument would assume a customer would believe that one brand is as good as any other. This is one of the reasons I thank the Lord for the internet everyday. Instead of having to deal with a local shop that has a culture of bullying the customer, we are all now just a few clicks away from great shops world-wide where the owners know what they are selling and know how to treat their customers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,226 Posts
If you're buying a brand new instrument and you know exactly what you want, I would first search the web to identify a good price and a seller with a return policy. Then I would ask my local music store if they can order the same instrument and sell it for at or near the online price (with a return policy). If they can't or won't come close to the online price, buy online. If they can, then order it and support your local music store. They've just demonstrated that they're a good store, and there's value in that relationship.

But to comment on the OP: they're either idiots or liars. Maybe both. Don't do business with them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we went in today to get everything sorted out, and apparently the lady I talked to just clicked "No brand preference" on the computer after I showed her which brand about a hundred times. We talked to him and he said he had no Yamahas anywhere. So he has to email Yamaha about it. :faceinpalm: I mean I guess I can understand because bass clarinet most likely dont stock in abundance, but I think I'll order somewhere else because ordering one from the Yamaha factory could take awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts