Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been playing clarinet for about ten years. I'm left handed, and have longer fingers than average. For years my little finger has started to lock in a straight position and I cannot bend it once it locks. It's really annoying if I have to use the lower sidekeys because obviously once the finger 'locks' I am unable to continue (unless I take the hand off in order to bend it :p) Recently my ring finger on the right hand has started to lock as well so now I'm worried it's spreading.

It probably doesn't help that my little fingers are double jointed.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I haven't experienced this, but 2 ideas come to mind to relieve pressure from the right hand. Try a neck strap or try one of those fancy after marker thumb hooks. The neck strap would be cheaper and easier to test out. The thumb hooks you might need a tech to install but are designed to correct the awful thumb placement design of the modern clarinet.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,308 Posts
Clarinetist for 39 years....
Do you keep your fingers in a modified *C* when you play, or do you keep them more straight?
Are your fingers coming straight across the tone holes, or are they pointing slightly north or south?
When was the last time your clarinet went in for servicing?
Locking pinkeys are usually a sign of improper hand position or a horrible 'gorrila grip' being used to compensate for leaks in the lower joint.

If your clarinet doesn't have an adjustible thumb rest, have one installed by your tech. They aren't that expensive and can 'cure' a lot of right hand issues. The tech can also check for any 'issues' at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts