Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a listing with 2 Mark VI alto's on, same pictures, same seller, same buy it now, and they both started superbly low. Should I be worried?

The seller also has a Mark VI Tenor and SBA Tenor for sale, with the same buy it now as the altos. ($1800)

The seller has 8 feedbacks, 7 positive and 1 neutral.

Should I be worried?

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,546 Posts
Yes, you are worried.

I would say its one of the 3 S's

Stupid, scam, or stolen

Hope for stupid

I would write the seller for some clarification and feel it out from there.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Those are hijacked accounts. They use the email to try to get you to send money western union. If they don't take paypal, they are scammers. Paypal is the buyer's only protection. It may take a while to get your money back, but you will get it.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Those are hijacked accounts. They use the email to try to get you to send money western union. If they don't take paypal, they are scammers. Paypal is the buyer's only protection. It may take a while to get your money back, but you will get it.
Yeah, I wouldn't buy anything except through Paypal. I can't understand why eBay would allow asking for an email before bidding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

This is the standard scam. The text is always embedded in an image to avoid eBay's reader bots. And the text always asks you to contact them outside eBay. If you report this auction to eBay they will take it down quickly.

PS: I just reported this scammer to eBay on his five sax auctions. But it looks like he's doing this with a bunch of items of all types. Hopefully, eBay will shut him down all the way. :cussing:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally had never come across something like this before, so I wasn't about to report someone without having some kind of confirmation. Looks like the SBA is up to $4,000 now. You are able to purchase through paypal, so hopefully if this doesn't get shut down in time, the people will at least get their cash back to them, since they probably didn't see the inconsistencies.

-Bubba-

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
..., since they probably didn't see the inconsistencies. -
I think those who know anything about ebay and/or the horns in question would instantly see the inconsistencies. But of course P.T. Barnum was right... So not everyone would spot these scams!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.