Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes/sells cases that hold more than one instrument?

Something like alto/soprano case or tenor/flute/clarinet case and other variations.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
BobbyC,

Protec, Selmer and Allora are three that come to mind. Allora makes a wheelie bag that holds Sop/Alto, Sop/Tenor, and Alto/Tenor. Pro tec has a Tri pac that holds Alto/cl/fl or Tenor/cl/fl. Selmer carries a Tray Pack (which I have I hate it closes the A & G keys on my Ref. doesn't do that on the Yammie). They call it the Tray pack because each compartment is considered a tray (I think?) It comes in 2 variations TS/cl/fl and AS/cl/fl. There may be more those are the ones I have layed hands on. My favorite is the pro-cases. They are lighter than the selmers and each case is a self contained case-meaning the clarinet case is just that a clarinet case with handle and the flute case is as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Go to WWBW for pics of each of the cases oh and they are NOT cheap!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Semipro, "trey"pack means "three", as in 3 horns.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Randall in the case they spell it trAy not trey (The flute sits in a tray under the clarinet case). Protecs case just came into production in Dec. That's why you saw thm advertised but not delivered. I talked to a rep at Midwest who said there was a design issue they wanted to clear up before producton began but sadley no details.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input all.

For the Selmer case, it IS Traypak and the reason being is that the clarinet and flute go into separate trays and the clarinet one is removable.
Very nice case but very pricey.
Also, it's only for Tenor sax.

The Protec case was an alto case with zipper pockets to hold a flute case and a clarinet case.
I bet I could just buy a huge suitcase and put all my horn cases inside it and have essentially the same thing.

Then I checked out the Reunion Blues cases and found an interesting story on the creator of the original cases and his split with Reunion Blues.

His name is Glenn Cronkhite and he now makes custom cases under his own name.
His cases sound impressive but I'm guessing they'll be pricey as well.

To get an alto/soprano combo case it looks like I would need to have it custom built.

If I hit the lottery soon, then I will pick up the Selmer case and have a custom one made for the other instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,903 Posts
drakesaxprof said:
I'm happy with my sop/alto Selmer Light case, which I bought used recently. Prowinds sells them.
Would a big bell alto fit in one of those cases?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Carl H. said:
Would a big bell alto fit in one of those cases?
The Liberty Bell?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any chance you can post some photos of the inside of that case and how the instruments fit inside?

All of the images I found only show the outside.

·
13,903 Posts
I tried my sax in a MK VI vintage case and my sax was too big to fit in. I saw a protec case in a store once, but it was gone before I returned with my sax to try it. I had a fairly light and soft tripac case years ago which fit, but it didn't feel like it was providing much protection so I sold it.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
BobbyC said:
Any chance you can post some photos of the inside of that case and how the instruments fit inside?

All of the images I found only show the outside.
Here's the link to the auction that I bought it on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320109776106

No idea about a larger-bell alto--I'll try to remember when one of my Keilwerth-playing students come by.

JR

·
13,903 Posts
Is this case a cordura covered rigid foam type of case or does it have a structural framework?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AH HA !!!!

I looks like that case is only for removable neck sopranos.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
BobbyC said:
AH HA !!!!

I looks like that case is only for removable neck sopranos.
This one is for SIII sopranos w/removable neck, but you can order it for SII or straight-neck sops. As for the structure, it is made by BAM for Selmer, as far as I know, and so is like the bam cases, with semi-rigid foam, but no hard outer structure to speak of. You wouldn't want to jump up and down on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
To Trey or to Tray, that is the question!;)

I did a quick search on the net and found the overwhelming majority of dealers and threads here on the SOTW call the case a trey pack-
Sax Alley being the exception amongst the ones I found.

Couldn't find any official literature from Selmer as to the correct spelling.

My first inclination is to spell it tray too, but that is certainly not the norm.

Now, off to whip a little English on my students!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,119 Posts
There is a Protec for Alto, Cl and flute on ebay today or yesterday. I have a Mark VI original brown treypak with the seperate CL case for $50 plus shipping and a Tenor tweed one also. The advantage to the Protec one is weight. The Selmer with a sax, cl and Flute are pretty heavy.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bruce bailey said:
There is a Protec for Alto, Cl and flute on ebay today or yesterday. I have a Mark VI original brown treypak with the seperate CL case for $50 plus shipping and a Tenor tweed one also. The advantage to the Protec one is weight. The Selmer with a sax, cl and Flute are pretty heavy.
HEY !!!

That case on ebay is being sold by Volkwein's Music which is a Pittsburgh store not far from where I work.

I haven't been there in YEARS. Maybe I'll run over there at lunch time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts