Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~ As a kid,my teacher Sam Correnti in the city where I grew up was one of Mulligans teachers and a big asset to Gerry in his youth. ( This same city from that teacher yielded Dick Hafer, Jim Reider, Gary Klein and more. Same city also had John Updike but that IS another thread.ALL...My hero's by the way )

I used to jam in high school with this old school dope fiend drummer that played pro with huge names- and we had sketch orks ( rem those ? ) that had tons of Mulligan. I was into Geru from the jump. It still sounds fresh- and it still sounds very very modern. Nothing but PURE honest jazz.

One of my fav' Mulligan records is Mulligan plays Mulligan. On prestige. I can't find You Tube of it...but I'd love to hear others responses on this jazz giant.

This guy swung, played fantastic thru his entire career.

IDEAS?

POV?

DISCUSS :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
One of my favorite players and the clip from the sextet you posted is my favorite band. They released a live performance of that band playing in the concertgebouw in amsterdam a couple of years ago. That really is a wonderful cd.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I've always loved the quartet quintet stuff with Art Farmer, Bob Brookmeyer, Lee Konitz/Chet Baker. I need to check out the larger group stuff. Including Allen Eager makes it required listening for me.

Thanks!

guido

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've really gotten into Mulligan since getting back on the bari just recently after 20 years. I picked up 2 of his play along books. 2 of my fav cuts to listen to and play are "Dragonfly" and "Idol Gossip". He has such an effortless style on the bari..Real smooth.

Dragonfly

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tim I don't think it gets any better than this. Bob Brookmeyer, Zoot Sims, Jon Eardley, Bill Crow and Dave Bailey.
Thanks to Youtube we can enjoy these gems.

·
2,870 Posts
Tim I don't think it gets any better than this. Bob Brookmeyer, Zoot Sims, Jon Eardley, Bill Crow and Dave Bailey.
Thanks to Youtube we can enjoy these gems.
They recorded about 4 albums together which are all great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Gerry Mullligan played at The Metropole in NYC in 1964... I was 16 and tried w/ fake ID to enter... no luck... Gerry invited me in and with my three buddies noses pressed to the glass watching, Gerry signed 4 sets of autographs, (He signed for 'Zoot' Sims by proxy on mine, explaining that he and Zoot were good like that)... Then we watched and listened as Ben Webster a Gerry took the stage with Woody Herman's Herd... Gerry was a warm kind gentleman to me that nite and he & Ben blew their @$$e$ off...

·
1,266 Posts
I have been a fan and a student of Gerry Mulligan since I first picked up the baritone saxophone some 30 plus years ago. I have almost every recording of Gerry Mulligan. For those interested there is a great discography of Jeru out there in the World Wide Web that takes up two three inch D Ring binders. Raymond Horricks' books as well as Jerome Klinkowitz' book are excellent resources and both offer some good insights into Jeru's music.

In talking to Mr. Klinkowitz about Mulligan's music, Mr. Klinkowitz went on at length about how Mulligan enjoyed "those strange chords." I am also amazed at the keys in which Mulligan chose to play his music. I think these two items more than any thing make Mulligan sound fresh and alive still today some 15 years after his death.

Mulligan Plays Mulligan is a great recording. I personally enjoy Age of Steam, Lonesome Boulevard, and Little Big Horn. I love his Concert Jazz Band recordings. Mulligan's use of sidemen is interesting. Among the people that Mulligan has shared a recording include T-Bone Walker, Thelonious Monk, Scott Hamilton, Cleo Laine, Margaret Whiting, Billy Taylor, Stan Getz, Paul Desmond, Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Art Farmer, Bob Brookmeyer, Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, The Seacliff Chamber Players, Israeli Philharmonic, the London Symphony Orchestra, Dave Brubeck, the Houston Symphony Orchestra, the Cincinnati Symphony, Tibetan Monks, Dizzy Gillespie, Paquito D'Rivera, Annie Ross, Judy Holliday, Barry Manilow, and a host of others I cannot remeber off the top of my head here.

I heard Gerry Mulligan with Wynton Marsalis at the Ravina Jazz Festival when Mulligan was last there. Mulligan fit in extremely well with Marsalis' group. And when Marsalis sat in with Mulligan's group it was like a reincarnation of the Mulligan/Baker incarnation.

I personally think that if one looks at every recording of Mulligan, including the TV commercials and soundtracks Mulligan recorded, one will find a musician that rises to levels few musicians ever do. Mulligan was a top notched composer. Mulligan recorded a great deal of his own tunes and many more tunes have never been recorded by Mulligan or any one. The Ballad of Pearly Sue by Susanna McCorkle is a fun tune. Listen to Charlie Parker play some of Mulligan's tunes as well. Mulligan was a top notched arranger. His work with Claude Thornhill, Stan Kenton, and his own Concert Jazz Band are great places to start. Lastly, Mulligan was a great performer. His sound is one of the most misunderstood and underrated of anyones. He has an edge and fullness that many instrumentalists wish they had.

As Dave Brubeck said, listening to Mulligan is like listening to the past, present and future of jazz all at once. Brubeck is right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tune in to kcsm.org @ 9pm pacific time for an hour long spotlight on Gerry Mulligan. About an hour from now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.