Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
honestly screw that man. you dont have to learn to play anything you dont want to. whats missing today is vocabulary from the past, thats correct, but thats because cats try to develope their own vocabulary off themselves and it doesnt work because know one knows what the heck their saying. but that doenst mean that you cant base your vocabulary off some new dude like christian scott. i think it would be awesome if someones vocabulary was based of some wierd new dude that no one had ever heard of... its a sign that the underground is thriving!! and that he actually was in love with what that guy was playing. a lot of cats today transcribe the greats because theyre told to, not because they heard them and had any emotional involvement with them. and that leads to cats sounding even worse cause its all watered down and they dont even know why there playing what their playing and everyone is confused haha. and it also doesnt mean that to get christian scotts sound in you you need to follow his process step by step in the order that he did it. the only sound that i feel like ive accurately ingested in my playing is some of miles davis' playing on so what, and i didnt get that by following his process. i got it by listening to the record a lot and falling in love with it, and then trying super hard for a week to get that sound in my playing. miles played a lot of classical music in his upbringing too and i was never into that. but somehow it got in.

swinging and playing tunes being a requirement for improvising is.. a fallacy of logic. improvisation is about listening to the group and lining your emotions/motions and ideas with everyone's. there are no requirements... if someone is playing some crazy **** that you dont like you keep playing and listen to the other people imo.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts