Sax on the Web Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
@derbyhat
We have had the rule that the marketplace wasn’t accessible to newcomers until they wrote 50 posts and had stayed 6 months , this was necessary because there were lots of people who joined only to post ads.

The “ this is not the ebay” was even earlier a rule because the management decided that it wasn’t acceptable to have auctions , so one had to declare a price.

the main object of this forum is not offering a selling platform

·
Registered
46 Posts
@derbyhat
We have had the rule that the marketplace wasn’t accessible to newcomers until they wrote 50 posts and had stayed 6 months , this was necessary because there were lots of people who joined only to post ads.

The “ this is not the ebay” was even earlier a rule because the management decided that it wasn’t acceptable to have auctions , so one had to declare a price.

Something of this type works on all the best forums. The ones where anyone can access them straight away invariably end up with scammers or dodgy people on there. I frequent a very good bass guitar forum and have bought and sold numerous Items and never had so much as a tiny problem. Quite the opposite in fact, in addition to some great kit I have also made some excellent friends.

·
38,807 Posts
I am sure you have and I did too here, I have had the pleasure to make many friends and to meet many members (wether they bought anything from me or not manywhe just visiting the NL have been so gracious to want to visit and we’ve met for a beer in town, it seems so long ago these days!)

Unfortunately we’ve had some bad experiences here in those many years which was the reason why the rules were adopted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@derbyhat
<Explanation of why the rules are there />

That's cool. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and I don't want to.

I offered it as an example of how there are significant barriers to becoming a "full" member of this forum, and how that might have an impact on the lower traffic that this thread is worried about. Other people have written about "tribes" and "sewing circles". The ability to see the Marketplace is one of these. I mean, heck, your own signature refers people to something that can't be seen unless you've been here for 6 months. :) So every post you make reminds me that I'm not a full member yet.

If this forum has been burned in the past, that sucks and I'm sorry long time members have had to deal with it. And I support whatever controls have been put in place to rememdy the problem.

And if you all want to increase traffic, it might make sense to consider the beginner experience so that those beginners can contribute.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,886 Posts
I offered it as an example of how there are significant barriers to becoming a "full" member of this forum, and how that might have an impact on the lower traffic that this thread is worried about.
But the point is, those rules have been in place for 5 years, so not relevant to the current thread which is about the last few weeks.

I'd also argue they aren't really significant barriers. Most people want to post and if they don't (and just sell stuff) then it would seem they joined for the wrong reason.
And if you all want to increase traffic, it might make sense to consider the beginner experience so that those beginners can contribute.
They can contribute.

Again, the point of the rule is to stop people joining the forum just to sell stuff. This was outlined by our great founder and benefactor Harri Rautianian years ago and I think most members agree with it. Obviously it inconveniences new members who want to sell, but if they did join to do that rather than be part of the community then the policy is working.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am grateful that SOTW exists, regardless of its graphic interface. SOTW is my lifeline to an international community of players, dealers, instructors, makers, modders, collectors, mavens & aficionados. I've made friends here. I've bought & sold gear here. I've learned a lot about sax history, technology, style & technique here. Thanks to all of you -- experts & n00bs alike -- for what you bring to this community. (Even the posters who annoy me are amusing to read.)

With that said, I hope the Marketplace can be restored to full functionality asap. The archived photos were a wealth of info about gear; their loss robs us all of a great resource. Frankly, the Marketplace was of greatest value when in-thread responses were permitted. Often these responses confirmed the credibility of the item or the seller, or added to our knowledge of gear development & provenance. Mods & admins: I think you can trust most of us to keep our discourse civil.

·
28,886 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
And folks will throw unwanted comments up and dilute the message as well.
Who cares? Let folks comment if they want, so long as the OP can get unwanted comments removed.
It is a For Sale ad, not an ordinary thread.
Without that kind of protection, it is not a For Sale ad, just another open discussion thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
Derbyhat, there is not a concern of a lack of traffic but rather the loss of members and good posts due to the format change. Id exho that the rules for the marketplace were a benefit. Prior, people constantly jumped on the forum to post sales and disappear after. The forum made no money and they cluttered the place. I agree its a drag for new members but I agre with Pete and Harri. It was a pervasive problem and the rules addressed it. Sadly good people suffer when others abuse a system. So it goes in many instances.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Given that most people are honest, and have genuine interests, I would be in favour of comments in "For Sale" threads, with two conditions:
  • the OP can remove comments if they want so,
  • and the rules state that comments should be restricted to the condition of the items for sale.
Of course that requires moderator time and effort.

To be honest, I never sold or bought through here, but I like those sections for the educational aspects.

·
28,886 Posts
Let folks comment if they want, so long as the OP can get unwanted comments removed.
That was never the case, only those that were against the tule
only those again
  • the OP can remove comments if they want so,
  • and the rules state that comments should be restricted to the condition of the items for sale.
I don’t think that was ever the case

·
38,807 Posts
Indeed, we’ve never been able to remove comments (only staff can) and despite the fact that we had rules even prior to the closing of the comments in the for sale, people started bickering in ads about one matter or other, bringing in , often, acrimony that started in other threads and was carried out in the for sale section.

ads are adsm discussions (which acn be openeed, separately) are discussions.

Sorry but I fail to understand what the for sale section has to do with the supposed reduction of traffic.

There may be many reasons, one is that the demographic of the forum are changing rapidly

·
28,886 Posts
the demographic of the forum are changing rapidly
That seems to be true.
people started bickering in ads about one matter or other, bringing in , often, acrimony that started in other threads and was carried out in the for sale section.
My gut feeling is that if comments are restored to FS ads, as many people seem to want, and a lot of bickering happened, then it may spell the end of the Classifieds section. A few people can spoil things for everyone.

·
38,807 Posts
oh I am sure that that is an altogether realistic possibility , and that would be a very sad thing to happen because few will determine the future of many , that will be undoubtedly creating disaffection

·
Registered
580 Posts
Too many things wrong now .
Take a once thing of love and fun and morph it into Saxzilla. Where you are traced and sorted into a category of use to no one but commerce. Not why I visit .
Interface aside, content still remains good but less active and frothy than the caffeinated version .
Lot's of members also have passed and are not being replaced

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think there is a psychological effect with the larger font sizes in the new format. Having pages with smaller fonts and more content per page view just looks busier and more exciting. I'm almost 60 and I understand the need to balance readability. Also pages have to useful on mobile devices. But as I'm reading this on my PC, the "new" view" looks like there aren't that many "new" topics. The "forum" view only has major headings and requires a drop down menu for subheadings. So my initial impression is that nothing is happening here.

·
38,807 Posts
depends how and where you access the forum.

currently I have what’s new as entry page, it returns me 35 NEW posts with the oldest one written 20 hours ago

I am not sure how many were the new posts before but I don’t think they were much less or showed a shorter period of time

if you access the forum from the first page you get the " recommended for you” page, ( targeted to your own use) that one shows me 25 entries

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it just me or does the traffic around here seem to be much lower than normal? I posted a few things in the Marketplace over the last few weeks and the views are much lower than what I accustomed to here. I've been a member for 17 years. So the options are A) the new site has led to fewer people surfing the site B) COVID has fewer people viewing things for sale C) not many people want to look at what I have for sale (which is totally possible).
Does anyone have any anecdotal or empirical evidence?
What kind of horns do you have for sale??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
What kind of horns do you have for sale??
Welcome to SOTW.
Questions like this best send the seller a private conversation. Go to the bottom of the page. Click on help. Go to FAQ. Down the list you’ll see how to send a private conversation,PC.
You have not been on SOTW long enough to view or list in the marketplace.
review the reply I just sent you on your tenor question thread

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
Easier:
  • Hover over the username of the person you want to contact.
  • Click on Message in the popup window.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts