Sax on the Web Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don’t know, anything would be a guess.

some time ago we used to have (maybe I am wrong) statistics which were visible.
you can find statistics here (were it appears we a have now a lot more traffic than we had in July...
Careful. Note that "now" isn't really current.

The last piece of data in those stats is the aggregate for the month of October. This forum was still using the old software for 2/3rds of that month.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As regard to the marketplace, I had wondered if things were slower well before the site change. Having also sold a few things on Ebay recently I found that seemed slower than it has been.

Anyone else have any observations on this? Are people short of cash, being careful?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
it might be partly the US elections. Regardless of your persuasion, it can consume much of your mental energy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is it slow because playing out is almost nonexistent? Is it tougher for people to get motivated to play/practice?
I know it is for me with home schooling, etc...Something new takes time to get used too. The old format was, well, old.
Love the new "like" button!😎

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,453 Posts
I like the new shifts and usage.

I think this forum was overrun for literally decades by sewing circles that chased off valuable users because they resented anything that was outside their "tribe." This was in play when the forum's first "benevolent despot" was chased off and the moderators supported him (wrongly) and scrubbed all evidence of it.

None of that was good for anybody but the members of the sewing circles, IMO.

I see more users who are dedicated to "the music," instead of their cred on this forum, and a more international user base.

I see that as good because if genuine love of the music isn't driving the user base, something is deeply wrong. Just my $200.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
I am developing a learned blindness in my right periphery - anything to the far right is ignored. If only it would go away.

Hmmmm...
LOLOLOLOLOL! I was being a smart ass. I'm slowly warming up to the format besides I cannot stay away from sotw even if I tried.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I was more or less away from SOTW for the last years, back just for the software change, not really on purpose. What makes it confusing for me: I tend to click the « new » button, and what comes up are 15 year old threads where someone just added a sometimes ironic comment. Mainly useless. It is as if the new hosting company was some kind of humanistic or anthroposophical organization helping us to quit the habit: « look, all you get here is old stuff, you’d better go back to your horn and blow ». Add to it that I get German ads, because a lot of dumb algorithms still don’t get that in this part of the world on parle français. So guess what....

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,887 Posts
Add to it that I get German adds,
I assume the ad geolocation is based on IP address, so that would be something you may be able to take up with your Internet Service Provider. Switzerland is a bit weird in this regard. The IP is not where you yourelf are, but may be where the ISP's server is. So for example, if that is in Bern you will probably get Swiss German ads.

OTOH, most people here don't want the ads so wouldn't care about the language.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Seeing alot of complaints about the" ads on the right". I don't see them. I use Chrome to browse the internet and I downloaded ADBlocker. Works like a charm. The right side is blank.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Same here (different ad blocker though); I don't see any ads on the site. Just a list with "Recommended Communities" from VirtualScope themselves. Completely meaningless list though; it doesn't relate to any of my interests.
Overall, the new site layout isn't too bad, certainly not on a tablet.

·
3,095 Posts
So for example, if that is in Bern you will probably get Swiss German ads.
Pete, very likely. But do you mean I have to do THEIR homework ? No women, no cry. No ads, no dumbness. I’ve grown too old to care about that stuff. THEY want me to watch ads inside the threads, THEY care about THEIR business, whoever they are. Certain german ads can be a strong repellent, sorry for THEIR ignorance. By the way, the smarter companies hit me en français. So please, no excuse for dumbness.
This wasn’t my dream when I joined the forum 9 years ago.

·
3,095 Posts
Seeing alot of complaints about the" ads on the right". I don't see them. I use Chrome to browse the internet and I downloaded ADBlocker. Works like a charm. The right side is blank.
I can live with the ads in the margins, we had banners before, like in most forums. It pays for the « pipes », so it is fair. I don’t need them within the messages in a thread. It goes against my understanding of netiquette, like interrupting someone’s conversation. I admit I never lived in Canada.

·
28,887 Posts
But do you mean I have to do THEIR homework ?
Whose homework? Your ISP? if they show your IP to be in a Swiss German speaking area, then the only people who can solve that is them.

·
3,095 Posts
I didn’t ask for ads in the threads, so I won’t ask Swisscom to ask whoever it is to take some lessons in geography. Swiss finance, utilities, automotive and retail companies are advertising in French on the right side banner, like in most other forums. I assume a mix of IP and cookies helps them to be smart. The question was, is there less traffic. My personal answer is yes. Sorry.... and sorry, nothing personal.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,005 Posts
OTOH, most people here don't want the ads so wouldn't care about the language.
Exactly! It would be easier to ignore the ads if they were in a language you don't understand. OTOH, I'm so used to seeing ads everywhere on the internet, I've learned to ignore them completely. I don't really 'see' them over there on the side panel. Except when they pop up and fill the screen...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I like the new format, because there seems to be better blocking features.
I like the new look. I haven't had any problems once I figured out where things are. I'm not sure what all this business is about trolls and sewing circles. Maybe I'm one of them but I don't think so. I've been here off and on since around 2008 and I don't recall ever getting in a flame war. There are a lot of veiled criticisms going on. I just wish someone would come out and say what is bothering them rather than dancing around the subject.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Wow, so we have to pay the site ownership $20 a year for the privileges' of messaging each other? The marketplace is dead then.
You just posted Pete Thomas' statement that NO premium membership is required for private messages, now called conversations.

I don't get why people have to resist change so much.

·
28,887 Posts
(And mods, I'm a software dev with UX experience if you want to talk.)
I’m always happy to talk

The Marketplace isn't available for new folks b/c "we're not eBay" or something.
I don’t really understand that, it isn’t eBay of course, but I don’t get the relevance

41 - 60 of 89 Posts