Sax on the Web Forum banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Forgive my ignorance here but don't some necks have a little brass ring at the opening and wouldn't this have the same effect as the PS and wouldn't somebody have noticed this by now?

Reactions: Zhenya

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
524 Posts
Forgive my ignorance here but don't some necks have a little brass ring at the opening and wouldn't this have the same effect as the PS and wouldn't somebody have noticed this by now?
You are not a vibrationalist, are you! Infidel!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I just view a video of this guy using some very small plastic piece and playing high notes. Do that mean I can play like that as a new saxophone player 🤔
If you can play the way he plays without it I think you're in with a chance.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
They were brilliant musicians. However they weren’t physicists, weren’t experts in acoustics, nor did they design saxophones.
Nor, if photographs are any indication, did they hang a bunch of crap from the hardware store all over their horns. In fact, the two examples chosen are quite different than that - Trane was photographed with THREE tenors through his whole long career (his mouthpiece chasing was notorious, however) and Brecker if I recall just basically took his one Selmer and wore it down to a nub - you can look at photos through his career and see the thing looking older and older.

So I would say that Brecker and Trane concentrated in their equipment on things that ACTUALLY affect sound - mostly mouthpieces - rather than stuff that doesn't (hanging stuff from your horn based on some belief system).

·
Registered
alto sax
62 Posts
Good point. The problem with brass ring is that its fixed. There are other differences too. Neck with brass ring and resonator is much better then without resonator. I tested it.

·
Registered
alto sax
62 Posts
Nor, if photographs are any indication, did they hang a bunch of crap from the hardware store all over their horns. In fact, the two examples chosen are quite different than that - Trane was photographed with THREE tenors through his whole long career (his mouthpiece chasing was notorious, however) and Brecker if I recall just basically took his one Selmer and wore it down to a nub - you can look at photos through his career and see the thing looking older and older.

So I would say that Brecker and Trane concentrated in their equipment on things that ACTUALLY affect sound - mostly mouthpieces - rather than stuff that doesn't (hanging stuff from your horn based on some belief system).
Make sense. But I am also sure that either Brecker and Trane that they will not have problem to try new things if their friend musician (whom they know or respect) recommend it. Thats why they are Brecker and Trane. They up for new things, they broke lots of borders.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Make sense. But I am also sure that either Brecker and Trane that they will not have problem to try new things if their friend musician (whom they know or respect) recommend it. Thats why they are Brecker and Trane. They up for new things, they broke lots of borders.
Yes i'm sure they just took any advice that any friend musician gave them. That's why they are Brecker and Trane.

·
Registered
alto sax
62 Posts
I just view a video of this guy using some very small plastic piece and playing high notes. Do that mean I can play like that as a new saxophone player 🤔
If you a beginner, of course you will not be able to play those high notes straight away. You need to know the fingering which works for your horn. All these charts people show with fingering are good, but often doesnt work on all instrument.
But ones you know the few versions of fingering, the resonator helps a lot. It makes notes more stable and you can get higher register with less efforts. I posted the video where I play on reeds number 1 in 6 octave on normal size mouthpiece. NO way I will be able to do it without resonator.

·
Registered
alto sax
62 Posts
Zhenya,

I personally dig your playing and you probably have some legitimate improvements and inventions for sax playing, but this is not one of them.

Your music should (and does, IMO) speak for itself and you know that you did not need to rely on such devices to get to where you are now. This kind of snake oil sales will only degrade your credibility among this community.

As a dedicated artist, I imagine you have a lot of interesting insights to contribute to this forum. I encourage you to take a step back and reflect on what you can contribute, rather than extract from this community.
Thank you a lot. I appreciate your opinion. I dont understand...What you saying is that forget what you invented, stop using it (because its doesnt work in your opinion, although you never tried) and never recommend it to anybody else as it will lower my status as musician. What about all the people who feel happy about it and who now recommending to other people, what about those who like it and ordering more for their other saxophones? I have quite a lot feed backs from Europe and America by now who are loving it. And they are not beginners. So, I should stop all of that just because you think its not work and you never tried it. Strange. And I already told here on the forum. To those who are very sceptical, I can send free sample. Do you want one? But again, I respect you opinion and appreciate you comment.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Exactly. They were clever!
That was sarcasm. It's not actually clever to take every single one of thousands of fans' suggestions. No person who succeeds at being an artist does that. How many people do you suppose either of those guys had around giving them suggestions and advice? What mouthpiece to try, what direction to take their music, what band members to hire, religious concepts to consider etc. People who achieve what they did do so by tuning out 99% of the stuff coming at them and focusing on their work.

The fact is this: not one of the important, influential giants of saxophone history used a thing like this. (Contrary to your suggestion earlier, they didn't keep a secret one in their bag to pull out once the cameras went away.) Every single person I might ever dream of sounding like got their sound without this. I'm not looking for a "better" sound than what they were able to achieve.

·
Registered
alto sax
62 Posts
That was sarcasm. It's not actually clever to take every single one of thousands of fans' suggestions. No person who succeeds at being an artist does that. How many people do you suppose either of those guys had around giving them suggestions and advice? What mouthpiece to try, what direction to take their music, what band members to hire, religious concepts to consider etc. People who achieve what they did do so by tuning out 99% of the stuff coming at them and focusing on their work.

The fact is this: not one of the important, influential giants of saxophone history used a thing like this. (Contrary to your suggestion earlier, they didn't keep a secret one in their bag to pull out once the cameras went away.) Every single person I might ever dream of sounding like got their sound without this. I'm not looking for a "better" sound than what they were able to achieve.
Thank you. I know it was sarcasm. I did sarcasm too by saying they were very clever referring that your sarcasm was very clever. Sorry, was a bit stupid... Anyway, I obviously meant those who they respect and know personally. Which I thoughts was clear. And I am saying again. It's not really for better sound, although it make sound more direct and a bit brighter. It's for less resistance, for making registers sound more even and to be able to play in higher register more easy. Some people say that they dont need to do those tricks...Then they buy expensive saxophones and mouthpieces for the same effect. People are different. I always like to try new things and experiment with instrument, practice, composing, styles. I tried lots of other resonators, extensions and etc. I got rid of some of them. But at least I know I tried them. I did also some extensions which allows you to play much more flexible in low register. Some people say its rubbish, as they dont need to play low much anyway... I enjoy playing low register reaching all these notes below low B flat. It's just depends on each individual...You are obviously not interested in any of those things.. Lot's of my friends too. I respect your opinion. But some are interested and

·
Registered
‘38 Buescher AristoTenor, ‘66 Martin Magna Tenor
158 Posts
Thank you a lot. I appreciate your opinion. I dont understand...What you saying is that forget what you invented, stop using it (because its doesnt work in your opinion, although you never tried) and never recommend it to anybody else as it will lower my status as musician. What about all the people who feel happy about it and who now recommending to other people, what about those who like it and ordering more for their other saxophones? I have quite a lot feed backs from Europe and America by now who are loving it. And they are not beginners. So, I should stop all of that just because you think its not work and you never tried it. Strange. And I already told here on the forum. To those who are very sceptical, I can send free sample. Do you want one? But again, I respect you opinion and appreciate you comment.
While I don't condone your methodology for promoting this implement, I am not completely closed-minded. I accept your offer to try this out. I will attempt a double-blind test and report the results. If I have evidence that the thing makes a verifiable difference, I will be happy to pay for it. Look for my PM.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts