Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, when you thought that all things had been said and most importatly, done, here comes another thing.

Of course this is a vibrationalist implement. As I understand it, it is supposed to bypass and communicate “ vibrations” from the horn (supposedly dampened by the cork ) directly to the mouthpiece by connecting the end of the neck through various horseshoe-like materials to the inner side of the mouthpiece. Even if that may be the case (or not, we just don’t know, do we?) , would that do anything to the actual sound?

I’ve watched many of the testimonials and cannot say I’ve heard any difference but of course all the people are lyric about how much this improves their experience of the saxophone.

Think of it what you want.

It is just another thing out there, another product for sale, another claim of effects and as usual we start from the end, the testimonial, instead of starting from the beginning, the phenomenon (if there is one to show). Lots of people saying that it is great all of them playing in a great manner with or without.

I know I know...making fun of this name is all too easy (I would myself if it wuyldn’t be too cheap to do so, unlike the implement itself )

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well, when you thought that all things had been said and most importatly, done, here comes another thing.

Of course this is a vibrationalist implement. As I understand it, it is supposed to bypass and communicate “ vibrations” from the horn (supposedly dampened by the cork ) directly to the mouthpiece by connecting the end of the neck through various horseshoe-like materials to the inner side of the mouthpiece. Even if that may be the case (or not, we just don’t know, do we?) , would that do anything to the actual sound?

I’ve watched many of the testimonials and cannot say I’ve heard any difference but of course all the people are lyric about how much this improves their experience of the saxophone.

Think of it what you want.

It is just another thing out there, another product for sale, another claim of effects and as usual we start from the end, the testimonial, instead of starting from the beginning, the phenomenon (if there is one to show). Lots of people saying that it is great all of them playing in a great manner with or without.

I know I know...making fun of this name is all too easy (I would myself if it wuyldn’t be too cheap to do so, unlike the implement itself )

This is from the guy who was kicked off SOTW for pushing it without being fully paid up isn't it? I caught the post before he disappeared and had a look. There's a shot of a slightly bewildered looking Jean Toussaint who says it's great which is where my disbelief peaked as Jean has a rich and powerful tone on anything and doesn't need this, I think he was just being nice. Then I saw how you have to take a knife to your cork. Available in metal and plastic, plastic is well known for its amazing resonating quality. I don't know if you get the glove, I hope so but he doesn't say. Looking forward to reports.

Reactions: Zhenya

·
42,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, @JimD, I think Zhenya Strigalev (inventor and player) is a member here

I suppose you may be thinking of someone else ( I don’t know who and what you are referring to) but this isn’t it (that I know of .

In essence the idea is , I suppose, that the cork dampens something but that cannot be the sound. Even if the wall vibrations may be dampened they don’t contribute to the sound at all, the passive wal vibrations are in minute amounts compared to the air column vibrations.

So, the assumption is that any object directly in contact with mouthpiece and metal will transfer this wall vibrations better... and so what?

Anyway a similar concept was what started the original idea of the LeFreque.

In origin thi was a small oval of rounded shaped metal which was cut out in the cork and which connected and bypassed the connection of the cork to the mouthpiece.

Later on they concluded that it was easier to sell a piece of metal connecting outside the various parts ( in some instruments they use multiple LeFreques ... makes more money and a better connection of al the disconnected parts ! )

Anyway, vibrationalism is a pretty pervasive thing and my position about it is I think , well known, I am NOT a believer!

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
528 Posts
It came off the neck and he had to extract it from the mouth piece. How does an object floating inside the mouth piece shank improve anything? Perhaps it is a gasket and seals the cork leak on the neck? This might account for the increase in volume when playing with it. But this tone change can be done by embouchure and without shoving anything into the shank. I cannot imagine the thought process in this object. I am not sold at all.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
So, what exactly is a "vibrationalist"?
Why, someone who practices Vibrationalism of course:

Vibrationalism
Vibrationalism is an intellectual and spiritual movement that advocates the production of vibrational technologies for improve the human condition, but not any kind of vibrational technologies, it advocates the production of wave function based technologies in order to improve the human condition by the wave function, such as the improvement of the whole technology, industry and even world by wave function based technologies.
"Vibrationalism is considered as the main theoretical base of psionicism, extraphysicism, divinialism and even esoteric transhumanism. Vibrationalism is considered one of them main focus on esoteric transhumanism."

"Even vibrationalism claiming to be anti-transhumanist, it is actually a transhumanist current, since it is transhumanism based on the wave function."
by Full Monteirism January 2, 2021

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Why, someone who practices Vibrationalism of course:

Vibrationalism
Vibrationalism is an intellectual and spiritual movement that advocates the production of vibrational technologies for improve the human condition, but not any kind of vibrational technologies, it advocates the production of wave function based technologies in order to improve the human condition by the wave function, such as the improvement of the whole technology, industry and even world by wave function based technologies.
"Vibrationalism is considered as the main theoretical base of psionicism, extraphysicism, divinialism and even esoteric transhumanism. Vibrationalism is considered one of them main focus on esoteric transhumanism."

"Even vibrationalism claiming to be anti-transhumanist, it is actually a transhumanist current, since it is transhumanism based on the wave function."
by Full Monteirism January 2, 2021
Ah, snake oil. Got it.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Going Full Monte, eh? ;)
Yeah, I didn't really read that whole thing, just googled Vibrationalist to see what came up that looked funny and posted. Looking at it now, it looks like an excerpt from one of those nonsense academic articles that you can computer-generate for fun (which fits given the product that is the subject of the thread).

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
528 Posts
Well, I wasted more time and went to the web sight. Colors affect sound. Need I say more?

·
42,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I starte the SOTW vibrationalism term long ago

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The renowned consulting detective Sherlock Holmes settled the matter conclusively long ago, as recounted in this thrilling narrative...

1 - 20 of 152 Posts