Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that more than once I've purchased a mpc on a whim that has turned out to be much better than aimed, targeted, reasoned and coveted purchases!

This has happened to me with a Berg Larsen HR, although I then switched to a NY STM Link 7, and possibly with a Saxscape Uptown Dark .90!

Is it just me or do we often surprise ourselves?!

cheers!
Laurence

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Very true. I purchased a Broadus worked on by Theo Wanne recently, just because of the names associated with it, never having played a Broadus before or knowing what one sounds like. It's now my main mouthpiece.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I unintentionally wasted a bunch of time in recent months trying a bunch of different pieces for classical alto.

As it turns out, it looks like I'll be going back to the scroll LT I've had for about 20 years. I stepped away from it trying to like something else that perhaps made a great first impression but long term never left me completely satisfied.

I should be careful about saying "wasted time" though - it can be helpful to try new things if only to discover along the way that one's setup is worth leaving alone.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I recently picked up a Charles Bay HR Gerry Mulligan special edition #8 Mouthpiece for bariton and it is my main mouthpiece for jazz. Great sound and very good response in all registers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky; I wouldn't recommend it as a method on much, 'though it has worked with me on mouthpieces.......the thing is sometimes we think too much about mouthpieces. They either work or they don't, ya know?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts