Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. To get my bari in tune I've had to slide the mpc way down beyond the cork. This is true using my standard yamaha 5c and my Rico Graftonite B7 mpc. It plays well once I've made the adjustment and I can totally live with it. I've read in various places online that there is no limit to how far down the mpc is, as long as you get it in tune you're good. I'm ok with that, but my question is, is there tuning required on the horn itself that would prevent me from having to slide the mpc down so far? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,283 Posts
Other than making sure the neck is all the way in the reciever, and the key heights are adjusted properly that's about it as far as the horn goes.
The rest of playing 'in tune' is pretty much up to the person behind the mouthpiece.
You may just have to keep pushing that mouthpiece on a long way and continue to live with it.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Corks are installed on neck at different lengths, so how much of the cork is left showing is relative. Very basically speaking the mouthpiece must go on the neck to where the used volume inside the mouthpiece matches the volume of the "missing cone" in order for the instrument to be in tune with A=440 and to be in tune with itself. Of course there are many other variables which make it much more complicated than that. To learn more get the book "The Saxophone is My Voice" by Ernest Ferron.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the info! I won't worry about it and will continue to work on my skills rather than be concerned about the horn ;-). And Jbtsax, I will check out the book as well! This site and the people part of it are awesome!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts