Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else tried out this mouthpiece? It's a Yamaha 4C but says "Custom" on it. I set it next to my old Yamaha 4C, and the custom is quite a bit longer. Personally, I thought it was junk, but I'd like to hear what anybody else thinks about it.

:duckie:

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I really don't understand why Yamaha doesn't invest a bit more into their mouthpiece line...They make beautiful horns...precisioned and perfect strait from the factory. The workmanship is impeccable on the horns but the mouthpieces are absolutely TERRIBLE and ESPECIALLY the ones that come with the top end horns...These pieces don't hold a candle to the S80's, Super Sessions and S90's the come with pro Selmers. I just don't get it...Yamaha needs to hook up with Zinner blanks and make a killer mouthpiece to go with their horns...or at least go in with Rousseau and issue new classic rousseau pieces with all horns...makes sense right?

Anyone have an idea about this? Steve P??? you out there? anyone? Bueller?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I think I will run out, buy a new expensive horn and put a 4 dollar mouthpiece on it ;)

They may as well not put one in. Selmer sells the reference with an S-80 and the cork talored to fit (too little for anything else). Does anyone use that combination?

Maybe its a consolation prize for those of us who are broke after a horn purcahse....at least if you cant afford a mouthpiece you can still play your new horn.

Then again, maybe its the theory that since you cant please everyone dont even bother!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
FWIW those Yamaha custom mouthpieces sell separately at sax.co.uk for £67 (that's about $125). Personally I cannot understand why any sax except a "beginner's complete package" needs to come with a mouthpiece, I mean it's not as if one size fits all... it's like buying a pair of trousers and receiving a free pair of shoes in one style and size 8 only :?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Rick Adams said:
FWIW those Yamaha custom mouthpieces sell separately at sax.co.uk for £67 (that's about $125). Personally I cannot understand why any sax except a "beginner's complete package" needs to come with a mouthpiece, I mean it's not as if one size fits all... it's like buying a pair of trousers and receiving a free pair of shoes in one style and size 8 only :?
I agree - those who can afford a good horn are able (financially and by playing skills) to choose a mouthpiece that suits them. Even if you're still a beginner or student or low on money, get a Selmer/Meyer/Link, they go for about 50€ used and they will last at least until you can choose what suits you better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts