Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing for a few hours with a certain mouthpiece, I remove the reed carefully and check if the table is dry. Lately I have found a very nice playing mouthpiece but after lifting the reed, I see that the humidity (saliva) goes a bit through the table beyond (below) the window. I've tried with many different reeds and it was the same thing. Is there a problem or "side effects"? Up to which point should the table be sealed by the reed?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,175 Posts
After playing for a few hours with a certain mouthpiece, I remove the reed carefully and check if the table is dry. Lately I have found a very nice playing mouthpiece but after lifting the reed, I see that the humidity (saliva) goes a bit through the table beyond (below) the window. I've tried with many different reeds and it was the same thing. Is there a problem or "side effects"? Up to which point should the table be sealed by the reed?
You are ok if the moisture doesn't leak to the outside of the mouthpiece table. It might just be a concave table where the middle of the table is lower than the outside edges of the table. It's when the moisture and air leak out from under the reed to the outside of the mouthpiece table that you really notice problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
I have two late model Otto Links. An STM and an STM NY. Using the original ligs, both mouthpieces have saliva past the window and down along the edges quite a ways towards the butt of the reed. This doesn't seem to effect the STM too much. The NY plays stuffier. Now, put a Rovner EVO-5 on either piece and the saliva on the reed is uniform past the window of the mouthpiece about 1/4" and it stops. The tone of both mpcs is the same as before, however, it sounds a bit more open. The NY is less stuffy. Bit more warm and mellow than the STM.

So, having said that, that's what you get with the concavity of the table on the Otto Links. I'd really like to get the NY sent off and the table flattened. Soon I'm engaged on my next project, with a regular pay check, I anticipate sending it off to one of the fine refacers on SoTW and get it worked on!

Hope that helps but Steve pretty much summed it up for you to begin with. I just kinda piled on based on my experience. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Does the mouthpiece get suction? Phil Barone

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,175 Posts
Yeah, "it sucks" really well :)
I mean, it remains sealed after suction. I can see the reed popping out.
I wouldn't worry about it then. I have noticed that reeds that I use on a concave table dont work well on a flat table. When you play them on a concave table they form and warp to that table. When you put that reed on a flat table later it is no longer flat and can leak like crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it then. I have noticed that reeds that I use on a concave table dont work well on a flat table. When you play them on a concave table they form and warp to that table. When you put that reed on a flat table later it is no longer flat and can leak like crazy!
I've experienced the same here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts