Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if anyone knows if there is a “correct” shape for the curvature of the metal part of the spoiler?

I happened to have a few JJ classic and Runyon Custom / Jazz mpcs and I noticed how they all have slight different shapes / bends on the spoilers. I tried to swap them around and noticed they each have some slightly different effect on the tone. But most importantly, the shape seems to affect the ease to reach altissimo range (at least for me personally).

This makes me wonder if the curvature differences on each spoiler was intentionally made by the manufacturers to suit individual mpc. I would be grateful if you could share your thoughts on this matter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
My hunch is that they simply bend easily. It makes sense that height would make a difference. It may just come down to a little experimentation. I think when they sold replacements they were not mpc specific.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yep, I used to use several 'spoiler' varieties, and I still do on Alto. There was no real consistency to either the fit or the bend. The trick was to bend the blade so that nothing vibrated against the insides of the M'Piece. I always sanded mine to get them to seat just a bit deeper in to the baffle area.

I played around quite a bit with these. My personal conclusion is that the baffle did 95% of the difference .... the 'blade' part didn't seem to make much difference to my sound.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'd like to find the old ad that Runyon would run in Down Beat. The Spoiler as advertised promised more projection, intense tone and amazing altissimo. When I was buying mouthpieces from Paul Coats, he sent me a scientific dissertation that someone had written that claimed the positives of the secondary reed.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yea .... I read that, too.
I'm just saying in practice what I experienced. If you think about it, isn't that what a higher or added baffle does?
Actually, they use the same descriptions for ligatures .... and special Lyre screws .... and added weight mass bridging the neck tenon / receiver .....

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I experimented a bunch of years ago with making my own spoilers. I have a roll of stainless steel shim stock (.008” thick sheet metal) left over here on the shelf. I cut it to shape with an old pair of scissors, shaped it wavy and stuck it in epoxy putty while making a removable baffle. I made the same baffle shapes with and without the metal reed. I concluded the metal part did nothing significant to the sound.

I have clipped off the metal part of Runyon Spoilers and have not noticed and difference in sound, altissimo response, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts