Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got four tenor mpc:
> Claude Lakey hard rubber, 7*
> Berg Larsen metal (silver) 85/3
> Selmer metal (silver) D
> Dukoff (brass) 4

Can someone give an idea how much these may sell for? All at least 15 years old...

·
Registered
268 Posts
The best bet would be to check out eBay for comparable pieces.
More details are really needed to give accurate estimates. For example, is the
Dukoff an older Hollywood, CV, or short shank model, or is it a brass SPC model? The former group go for around $400, while the latter probably $150-$200.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,468 Posts
1) 70-100$
2) 100-130$
3) 130-200$
4) 100-130$ ??

That's based on prices in Europe

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Details

The Dukoff is a Hollywood (in it's original box).
The Selmer has "Jazz" engraved on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,179 Posts
Are these pieces Original Lacquer? (Hee-Hee - I couldn't resist):D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
27,750 Posts
segaleon said:
I've got four tenor mpc:
> Claude Lakey hard rubber, 7*
> Berg Larsen metal (silver) 85/3
> Selmer metal (silver) D
> Dukoff (brass) 4

Can someone give an idea how much these may sell for? All at least 15 years old...
I've got five whole dollars that I'm willing to give up for that Claude Lakey.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
I agree that you need to look at ebay and get an idea of what they are going for. Set your starting price at the minimum you will take or use a reserve. Don't sell them as a group, list seperate. Example: Last week I listed an alto mouthpiece starting at $285. In the past month one sold for about $300 and another at about $400 both not as nice as mine. The auction ended around $350 as I remember. The downside of your mouthpieces would be that they are not very open tips. The Selmer may be the hot one.

·
39,468 Posts
bruce bailey said:
The Selmer may be the hot one.
Do you really think so? Because I also have one for sale, a Selmer Metal Jazz C* long shank, and I didn't get the impression that they were all that very sought after.

Perhaps the Selmer Metal Jazz Short Shank could (although it is of a difficult application o modern saxex causing more often than not tuning issues) reach high regions if it is one very early ornate one but I personally doubt it.

Lot of the price of a mouthpiece or related items (ligatures too) is due to the legend surrounding them. So before you sell try to find out as much as possible about that particular model and the legend (if any) around it. The unusual shapes and colors help greatly.

Another thing might be availability. The market in Holland is flooded with Stainless steeel Berg Larsen making them rather difficult to sell for anything more than half the normal price, but if you have an early bronze.....with a not so common chamber.......and a grained ebonite biteplate....... Might fetch a bob or two more than the standard models.

Ebay can be a crazyplace and some people might start a bidding war on nothing, so yes, never offer your pieces as a job lot and sell one for one with good pictures and a great story.:cool: Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,935 Posts
segaleon said:
The Dukoff is a Hollywood (in it's original box).
The Selmer has "Jazz" engraved on it.
I may be wrong, but if the Dukoff is a Hollywood, doesn't that make it obscenely valuable?

·
39,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I've seen those go for more. They really are great pieces.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,663 Posts
I bought a dukoff hollywood 5 off ebay for about 150.00 a few months ago. didnt like it at all. sold it for around the same.maybe 170.00 cant remember the one I had was original too. good mpc just didnt have the power I like . (i normally use a berg metal or jumbo java ) so it didnt suit me but it was like a classic vintage kind of warm sound. some guys sound great on them though. not me..

·
39,468 Posts
bruce bailey said:
The metal Selmers for tenor are somewhat popular as a C Melody mouthpiece.
yes, but I believe that the " popular" ones for the C melodies are the very old short shank versions of the Selmer Metal (Jazz or otherwise), the " normal" versions are far too long to be able to be used for this purpose (especially on C melodies which feature a microtuner...) on the other hand these short ones have shown various tuning problems on modern saxophones

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
I've got five whole dollars that I'm willing to give up for that Claude Lakey.

You couldn't PAY me Five Dollars to take it!:violent1: I've only ever come to terms with one Lake in my life, and it still wasn't worth the work!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
27,750 Posts
saxchado said:
You couldn't PAY me Five Dollars to take it!:violent1: I've only ever come to terms with one Lake in my life, and it still wasn't worth the work!
I've never played one. But, it's a 7* and for five bucks? I figure it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Dukoff Hollywoods are over-rated, but the short shank vintage Dukoffs play good. I'll still take a Link, vintage or new, over either one of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts