Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dimensions of my neck cork and my metal Link
O.D. Cork - 11/16
I.D. Link - 11/16
O.D. Link - 25/32 (3/4 + 1/32)

Found on Amazon.com
$ 1.15 Nylon 101 Hollow Bushing Stock 3/4" Nominal OD X 11/16" Nominal ID 12" Length
$ 8.03 Polycarbonate Tubing, 3/4" ID x 1" OD x 1/8" Wall, Clear Color 24" L
$ 0.00 Shipping

Required tools - sandpaper (Dremel makes life easy) and fine saw that can cut plastic.

Starting materials

1) With a Dremel drum sander, 1 minute light sanding inside the polycarbonate tube takes off 1/32 of material. Press fit onto mpc shank.

Inital Sanding

To fit over MPC Shank

Another angle

2) Cut the other end of the tube 1/2" longer than needed. (I used a mitre box & saw)
3) Bevel the inside edge slightly.
4) Force the nylon bushing inside to desired point. For me this was a press fit, no glue needed.
5) Cut tubing with bushing inside to the desired length.

Lineup where MPC fits on cork, bushing insert

Bushing inside tubing - view 1

Bushing inside tubing - view 2

I was going to show all the steps, but it went so fast and easy that I just flew ahead and built it. The only question now is whether to leave it as is, or spray paint it gold metallic (or some other color). If I'm going to paint it I need to sand the ends smooth. I sort of like the way it looks 'raw'.

Finished! - MPC on neck w/extender (Close-up)

Finished! - MPC on neck w/extender

1 hour to make the extender
2 hours to write this post and get the pictures online & linked

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,511 Posts
Re: Neck Extension for Conn Bari - How To Make Your Own

Cool idea...how does it sound ?

Also, would be trickier for an old ebonite m'piece with a shank which is not cylindrical, but flared & shaped. Nevertheless, nice job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Neck Extension for Conn Bari - How To Make Your Own

As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect the sound. That was definately something I was concerned about.

On the one hand, it's a big chunk of plastic sitting up on a critical part of the instrument. On the other hand, it's connection to the neck is through cork, and it's connection to the mouthpiece is on the part of the shank which is already on the cork. I would think the cork damps most of the coupling with the neck.

Maybe one of the mouthpiece experts can give an opinion on the effect of extra mass hanging on the cork with extra rigid plastic on the shank. The polycarbonate is quite rigid, isn't it used in some MPC's?

Alternately, I was thinking of marketing it as a "sound enhancer", maybe glue a couple of delta wings on it and give it a custom paint job.:TGNCHK:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Just ordered my bushing stock. That's the key piece. I will probably use brass or rigid copper for the outer tube if I can find the right size. Of course, I don't have my 12M back from MartinMods yet. So this will be a future project.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,182 Posts
great job. the 12m cant be played without some sort of extencion with most mpcs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a note on the silly poll question - if you watched the LOST finale, you now know that the hydraulic system of a large commercial jet can be repaired using ... DUCT TAPE!

I think there was even a character saying something close to "is there anything you can't do with duct tape"!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts