Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to playing ska and jazz, but I need a new MPC for more classical stuff as I have recently been accepted into several woodwind ensembles and will be trying out to fill a vacant tenor position in my local orchestra. I need suggestions for a very rich, very full philharmonic/symphonic mpc. Mention brand names and styles I should look at and how much I should expect to pay if you can. Thank You! Just for reference, I play a cannonball '98 Knight and price is not really an issue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,473 Posts
tubbycub said:
Is it ok to use the Selmer metal E for classical music?
That would depend on how well it works for you. I find that the hard rubber 'pieces also help open the jaw and enhance the shape of the oral cavity. What works for someone else may not give the desired results for you. Hmmm, seems I've heard that before... :lol:

Attitude and experience are often more significant than equipment. I can get a great R&B sound out of my classical setup or, if pressed, get a satisfactory classical sound from my jazz setup.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Try a Morgan 3C for a rich warm sound. They are large chambered pieces and are hand done by Ralph Morgan.

Another lesser priced option would be to try a Runyon Finesse. It won't be as dark as the Morgan but will have a nice tone and flexibility.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Frootmig,

Can you comment on a Morgan 3C versus about a 6L? I haven't gotten to play either one yet, FYI.

Also FYI, I play a Cannonball Big Bell tenor, and tend (for whatever physiological reasons) to have a sound that is on the "classical" end of whatever mouthpiece I'm using. For example, back when I had a Dukoff (heaven knows why I bought THAT) my sound was about as classical as you can get with a Dukoff (not very); when I play on a Selmer C*, my tone can get almost "muffled", if I'm not careful. Take that into consideration, if you can...

Thanks,

Stacey

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
there's always the selmer soloist. very nice mouthpiece, they can run anywhere from $50 to $150 (american) for a c* opening. they tend to play a lot more colorfully than the s80's.

·
36,473 Posts
What reeds are you running on the Soloist? I've an early '60's Soloist but I find it lacking compared to my Morgan. I freely admit that I have not spent the time in doing the reed quest on the Soloist because I was already so happy with my Morgan "C" .095".

·
Registered
747 Posts
George,

I think I posted this question for you somewhere else, but I don't think you've seen it -

According to junkdude, the Morgan "C" is available in openings of .065 or .075, yet you say you have a .095. What's up? The only .095 I can see in the Morgan list is the jazz seires of mouthpieces - the 7M, 7L, 7E, 7EL.

So what exactly fo you have?

Thanks,

Stacey

·
36,473 Posts
Hi Stacey,

I got my Morgan 3C from a fellow SotW player several years ago. It was my favorite mouthpiece and played wonderfully. Then, the first time ever in 30+ years of playing, I dropped a mouthpiece - and yes, it was my 3C, yes, it landed on the tip, and yes, it was on a floor laid with Italian tile. Well, I sent it to Jon Van Wie and had it refaced to .095" because I had learned that that was the preferred opening that James Houlik used. Before that I was locked into the idea that classical mouthpieces must be closed to be acceptable. Well, it's just not so and I'm happier for breaking out of that mold. In fact, I just returned from rehearsing with my classical quartet this morning and I've got to say that I am completely in love with my sound. This, after struggling for years to match the sound in my head that I believe to be a true tenor sound.

Sorry if that's more than you wanted to hear... :lol:

So, in a nutshell:
Morgan 3C refaced to .095"
Alexander DC 3
Francois Louis lig
Ref 36

·
Registered
747 Posts
Oy.

George, you haven't done much to help me decide between a 3C and a 6L! You've basically told me you have a sort of a hybrid of the two!

Darn - I'll have to act responsibly and make my OWN decision, it appears...

Stacey

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,905 Posts
Stacey said:
Oy.

George, you haven't done much to help me decide between a 3C and a 6L! You've basically told me you have a sort of a hybrid of the two!

Darn - I'll have to act responsibly and make my OWN decision, it appears...

Stacey
Why not order a 3C, play it, and if you decide you want more tip opening get Ralph to open it to a 6?

·
36,473 Posts
Stacey, if you are indeed looking for a nudge to get you off the fence, I concur with Merlin. The "basic" 3C is great. If you work with that for a couple years, learn everything it can do, and still need more, then give Ralph a call.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ah, you wise people. You'd think I could figure this out on my own, wouldn't you? :roll:

OR, I could sit patiently for a little while, keep collecting Paypal payments for used stuff I sell on eBay, and eventually get enough dollars together to just order a 3C AND a 6L! 8)

But then if I like those, my ALTO is waiting for a mpc, too... :cry:

Thanks, folks!

Stacey

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.