Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
i'm going to be a little straight forward but i want to know wich mouthpiece would you recommend to me for an alto player or wich mouthpiece is better suited to Alto saxes . by the way i prefer something cheaper cause i'm just a university student who still doesnt have much money .

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What player most clearly exemplifies the kind of sound you want? Do you have a link to his playing, YouTube for example?
Are you playing in any school ensembles? What kind?
Your question, considering the wide range of alto sounds, is too broad. If you could narrow it down, that would be to your benefit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah true ... well i play mostly reggae and blues and some latin music and rarely jazz so what would you recommend for me ?
i've been playing since almost two years now ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
OK, so...you front an electric band, or are in a horn section of an electric band. So you don't want a 'dark' sorta mouthpiece (one which boosts the low and low-midrange overtones while controlling the high reediness)...because those won't likely project or cut enuff for you. Am assuming you want something with some bite and some growl.....

What's your horn ?

Here are a few relatively inexpensive (under $80) options:

Runyon Customs ~ always get high marks as a good lead alto m'piece (they don't work well on a lotta vintage horns, though). saxplus.com has a closeout sale on the amber colored ones for $55....that's a pretty good deal.

Hite Artists ~ Hite Premiers are cheaper, but much darker sounding. The Artists have more edge and pop.

Beechler diamonds ~ very well-balanced, punchy.....

Those off the top of my head.

....if what you need is uber-cheap (i.e. below $40-50)...all I can suggest is a Yamaha 4c or 5c, or a few Brilhart Ebolins, like a 2 or a 3. They don't sock it like the above, however...but they can be had for $20-40.....and are available at a lotta places so maybe you can actually try some....

A good metal m'piece is likely out of your pricerange, although there are tons of cheapie asian-made ones around for about $50 on eFlay...but they get mixed reviews at best.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,201 Posts
Is cheaper 20-50 or under 150...Its hard to know what "Not much money means". If your idea is in the realm of 135 or so I have several pieces around here that would be hand faced and excellent players. If you are looking to get a really cheap price then you have some good suggestions already.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks JayeSF i think the yamaha mouthpiece might be what i search sorry for the bother but for a beginner like me wich one should i choose yamaha 4c or 5c ? is there a big difference between them ?

·
18,497 Posts
Yes, "inexpensive" is always a relative term around these parts....

The 4 and the 5 refers to the tip opening...typically a smaller tip opening (to a degree) is easier for a beginner than a wide tip opening. However, in the case of the Yamahas...the difference between the 4c and 5c opening is really very little.

Given you have been playing for 2 years, I'd be inclined to go for the 5c. It will produce a little bit bigger tone than a 4c. If you were just beginning, I'd say the 4c....they are the mouthpiece of choice for the definition of 'user friendly'...but you aren't just beginning, so you are probably past that stage already....

These are available almost anywhere...I mean, if there's a local shop somewhere near you which carries sax mouthpieces...I'd be shocked if they didn't have both Yamahas in stock. Maybe go try both (or some others as well).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man thanks for the advice i've got one last question . should i stick a little bit more with my initial mouthpiece or get the quick buy . because i've got an asian sax so i was given an asian mouthpiece aswell with it do asian mouthpiece suck ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Man thanks for the advice i've got one last question . should i stick a little bit more with my initial mouthpiece or get the quick buy . because i've got an asian sax so i was given an asian mouthpiece aswell with it do asian mouthpiece suck ?
What do you mean by asian sax? be more specific on the brand. There are some great horns coming out of asia but most of the time upgrading from stock mpc is a good idea imo.

·
18,497 Posts
I am not going out on much of a limb.... to say that a Yamaha 5c will be a significant improvement over the stock mouthpiece which came with your sax....these are usually keepers long down the road.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts