Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a tenor Lawton mouthpiece which I used to really enjoy playing on. Recently I'm suffering issues with tone quality, tuning fluctuations throughout the range of the instrument. If I try and hold a steady note with a tuner with consistent embouchure it wavers at least 10 cents. Trying to get a concert G from the mouthpiece is tricky. I can bring it up to F then it jumps to A flat all of a sudden. 

As an experiment I got out an old plastic Otto Link Tone Edge 5*. Not used it in ages. It holds a note nice and steady with no wavering at all. Sounds better too. I'm puzzled. The Lawton used to sound great. 

One thing I noticed is a small dint on the Lawton. It's not at the tip end but at the cork end. The round O of the mouthpiece end is flattened a small amount on one side. Looks more like a D shape (although not that bad!). Must have dropped it at some point. Still fits on okay but bites on the cork a bit now. 

I wonder if anyone could advise whether that is in anyway changing the airstream in some small but significant way to create this problem. Or do I have other issues? Thanks. 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Check your cork. Even a cork in seemingly good condition can create unwanted turbulence or leakage if it has become too compacted. The link might have a different bore size and therefore have a tighter seal.
Some mouthpieces are more "reed friendly" than others, thats why if your reeds are funky they may still play on the other piece but not on your lawton as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Link is the looser of the two. But the cork is a bit chewed now where the Lawton has been biting in. But I guess if the cork were the problem, would the Link not do the same thing as it is no tighter on the cork?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.