Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just recorded three Blues in G (concert key) clips for a UK sax forum thread. In one of them I used three mouthpieces from my collection to compare the sound between one vintage Otto Link and two modern ones. I used a free YouTube guitar backing (slowed down by 20%) and played the theme 'Basically Blues', a song I also play with the Big Band I'm first tenor in.

Here is the clip:

- 'Blues in G - Basically Blues' - (Florida no USA 10* - NVS 7* - modern STM 7*):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13372525

Solo sequence and details:
0:56 - 1950's metal Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2 reed (left in the mix)
1:45 - modern HR Otto Link New Vintage Slant (NVS) Tone Edge 7* - La Voz medium reed (mid in the mix)
2:34 - 1990's metal Otto Link Super Tone Master (STM) 7* - La Voz medium reed (right in the mix)
3:22 - Three mouthpieces exchanging fours

As expected the the NVS is a bit brighter than both other pieces. The 10* is much louder than both 7* pieces, but the modern STM 7* comes quite close to the Florida in sound concept in this recording (but the differences in real life are much bigger compared to what you hear in the clip).

Here is to compare the (fully improvised) clip I did on the Florida 10* only and the original tempo YouTube guitar backing:

- 'Blues in G' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) guitar YT backing:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13372715

Enjoy :).

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi all,

Here is to compare the (fully improvised) clip I did on the Florida 10* only and the original tempo YouTube guitar backing:

- 'Blues in G' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) guitar YT backing:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13372715

Enjoy :).
I like the way you went for it in this sound clip. There's some nice stuff in the recording with multiple mouthpieces too but it was a little difficult for me to keep up with which one was playing. Keep em coming!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,334 Posts
A swinging affair mrpeebee. My least favorite was the Slant. The sound doesn't seem to fit your style to my ears. i was pleasantly surprised by the STM 7*. It is a sound that works for you. It seems to me that of all the different types of mouthpieces i have heard you play, you always come across more effectively on a STM, regardless of the tip opening. The sound just fits your style of phrasing and ideas.

anyway, nice playing, i always dig listening to you.

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for listening and commenting mascio :).

Fully agree with your conclusion. I bought that STM 7* new in the early 90's as backup for my metal EB 8*, a piece that I started on (!) and played for more than 20 years (untill I got the Florida 10*). So that STM 7* never got much attention, it was by far not as good as the EB 8*. But playing it now was also a surprise (sound wise) for me and I'm sure that it could sound and play a lot better with a harder reed (the La Voz medium is way too soft for me on a 7*).

But since I'm still very happy with my Florida that won't happen soon, but it's good to have some alternatives laying around! For now I just like to fool around a bit with my big collection of mouthpieces, no serious reason to change what I play currently.

·
Premium Member
18,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the way you went for it in this sound clip. There's some nice stuff in the recording with multiple mouthpieces too but it was a little difficult for me to keep up with which one was playing. Keep em coming!
Thanks Phil :).

I did mix the three-mouthpiece clip in a bit other way to make it easier to identify the pieces. The Florida (first mouthpiece taken two chousses) is now left in the mix, the NVS in the middle and the STM right in the mix. Should be easier to hear the changes now, especially during the exchange of fours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts