Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my Conn 6M overhauled and I just started playing again. It seems to be a smaller bore/smaller alto than my daughter's Yani. My question is this. If a horn is designed to be smaller/brighter etc. Does a certain mouthpiece ruin that natural ability of the horn? For example, I have a Jody Jazz HR for this horn and when I go up in the upper registers it almost makes my ears hurt. It could be the type of reed I am using, but it is definitely noticeable that a horn like this could produce high pitches that are sometimes hard on the ears. Has anyone else experienced this before? I am still in the trial phase of mpc vs reed vs reed strength and I have recently switched to some harder strength Alexander Superials (3.5).Just looking for some comments. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Tried a JJ HR on mine, much preferred my old Lakey 7*3. Yeah, it can do the Sanborn thing, but can also be smooth and mellow with the proper effort to control the whole setup, though tiring...

·
Registered
190 Posts
6M's get unhappy real quickly with big baffles and small chambers
i own several and they work best with HR links and meyers,
personally I use and old slant link opened to a 6* by Doc.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My main alto is a Conn 6m, and I find it to be one of the most mouthpiece friendly horns out there.

My main piece is a Brilhart Great Neck Tonalin. For a less expensive option, look into Morgan Jazz models. Both the Large(L) and Medium(M) chambers work great with Conn 6m's.

For classical, I like using a Selmer C** Soloist with a Vandoren Java reed. With the java reed, I get a GREAT sound that can blend with horns and other saxes, and yet you can really play out when you need to solo. Great combination.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its funny you say that because I bought a 6L Morgan for my daughter and I tried it on my 6M and it did sound pretty nice. I will try the reed change first (harder reeds) and then I will probably look at a 7L.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
If you go the vintage route, everyone that I know that plays a Conn 6M seems to use a Brilhart (Ebolin or Tonalin)...don't know why...there are a few Meyers, but the majority seem to be Brilharts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Conn 6M mouthpiece

I find a meyer and meyer type mouthpieces are slightly flat in the upper register. I have no idea how people play Links on any alto in tune but they do. The best intonation for me is on a Vandoren V16 small chamber, Brillhart Tonalin, Ebolin, Streamline, and Rosseau Studio Jazz hard rubber. Brilhart Streamline Ebolin is the best all around piece I have tried so far for tone, response and intonation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts