Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a Weltklang Tenor which came with an old brown Selmer S80 C* MPC, with a bore of 16.85mm. This fits tightly on the neck of the Weltklang. I also have a Yamaha 4C MPC which I used on my YTS 62, and this has a bore of 17mm, and so very loose on the neck of the Weltklang

Looking at old posts, I see that this is a pet peeve of many people in that there is no standard size.

I want to try a new MPC (not sure what I will be looking for, but will take it in and try a few). My worry is that maybe the cork on the Weltklang will be too loose for the all the new or old MPC's, so would I be better off recorking it and sanding it to fit the Yamaha 4C on it until I find the right MPC, or should I leave it as it is, and wrap paper around the neck when I check the MPC's. Once I decide on an MPC, I would know whether and how to recork it

Any advice?

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Mouthpiece shank bores are not standardized and some are straight and some are tapered. If you have several mouthpieces you like to use you can get a new cork to fit the most common size. If you have an odd ball tight one, the bore can be sanded out larger. If you have a large bore, you can use paper or Teflon tape to get a temporary good for. The bore can be made smaller by coating the inside of the bore with epoxy and sanding it until the size is right. The sanding can take a long time by hand. Using a high speed rotary tool, like a Dremmel, with burs and sanding drums makes the job easier.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice

OK, my Yamaha 4c seems to fit several other saxes, including the recorked neck of my (under construction) dolnet series 2
So what I will do is recork the neck of the weltklang so that my 4c fits it, and then enlarge the bore on the selmer s80 to fit that

I will then go to the sax shop and see what other MPCs I like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts