Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
What kind of musicians don't use Apple Products? .....I.E. Pro Tools, Logic, D.P. Etc... all MP3's sound like crap and it really doesn't matter what player/subsciption you use. the reason the ipod has been so revolutionary is the format is soooooooo freakin' easy. Like someone said "it just works". no bugs, no virus, no popup, no crashing. And when your recording an album the last thing you need to have PC problems...Hell I'd rather use a PC because its so much cheaper! the problem is, it was made for accounting not music. It's not "passion" that drives people to Apple in the music industry. It's necessity! So I would just bite the bullet give it a chance and in about a month you'll go....Ooooooooohhhhhh wow I get it now!!! If you really want to listen to music on a great player with a n Awesome subscription service, go to musicdirect order some 200g vinyl. Then play it through a VPI Scout Table, Manley Steelhead pre and Stingray amp, With some Wilson speakers and see what you've been missing. But I digress, that's another discussion. Besides you can play .wav files and carry the ipod with you :)

Lossless audio compression is great for usage on a computer (FLAC, Apple Lossless, or whatever). It's very unfortunate that the online music download business traffics mostly lossy audio. People who pay to download recordings should demand to receive lossless audio.

For use on portable players, LAME's implementation of variable bitrate mp3 encoding (at one of the high quality settings) works well. Whereas some formats offer higher quality audio at lower bitrates than mp3, they may require more processing to play, thereby draining the battery of a portable player.

......Anyone care to share any experiences? I'd detest jumping on the Apple train, but I may not have a choice......-Bubba-
I use an iPod and iTunes. In addition to buying songs from Apple's iTunes music store, I can load mp3 or wav files acquired from other sources directly into iTunes, and once a song files is loaded into iTunes on my PC, it will get synced to my iPod, and the user experience on the iPod is the same regardless of which way the song was loaded into iTunes. Note that if you load an mp3 or wav file into iTunes from a file on your PC's hard drive, iTunes does not make another copy of it in the iTunes song store - instead it just creates a pointer to the song file that it already stored elsewhere on your PC's hard drive.

For me, this means that iTunes and the iPod work just fine for bringing in mp3 files acquired from other sources such as amazon.com. However, any song you purchase from the iTunes music store is downloaded in its Apple lossless format, so if you end up needing an mp3 copy of such a song, iTunes is not convenient.

Note that if you load an mp3 or wav file into iTunes from a file on your PC's hard drive, iTunes does not make another copy of it in the iTunes song store - instead it just creates a pointer to the song file that it already stored elsewhere on your PC's hard drive.
Actually there is a preference to either copy tracks to the iTunes media folder or just leave them where they and merely reference them in iTunes.

Another neat option is to convert too AAC or not when syncing to Ipad or iPhone (iPod too preseumably)

I'm still using my ipod nano on a daily basis and I bought I 5 years ago. Still I'm not a big apple fan. They screw people over with their warranty policy here in The Netherlands. They claimed you can only have one year of warranty on apple products while it's mandatory for companies to give 2 years on all electronic equipment. They even sell an extra year of warranty(that you should have had in the first place).

Converting to AAC is fine as long as long as you start with a lossless format (e.g. wav). It's not advisable to transcode lossy file formats due to the drop in quality.
Yes, that is the whole point. I have wav or air files on my computer, but when I sync the iPad or iPhone, I don't need uncompressed, so that's when I use that function. There would be no point in converting already compressed audio

Discussion starter · #31 ·
What kind of musicians don't use Apple Products? .....I.E. Pro Tools, Logic, D.P. Etc... all MP3's sound like crap and it really doesn't matter what player/subsciption you use. the reason the ipod has been so revolutionary is the format is soooooooo freakin' easy. Like someone said "it just works". no bugs, no virus, no popup, no crashing. And when your recording an album the last thing you need to have PC problems...Hell I'd rather use a PC because its so much cheaper! the problem is, it was made for accounting not music. It's not "passion" that drives people to Apple in the music industry. It's necessity! So I would just bite the bullet give it a chance and in about a month you'll go....Ooooooooohhhhhh wow I get it now!!!
Personally, I haven't had any issues with other carries. I'm not really sure I can relate to these comments.

If you really want to listen to music on a great player with a n Awesome subscription service, go to musicdirect order some 200g vinyl. Then play it through a VPI Scout Table, Manley Steelhead pre and Stingray amp, With some Wilson speakers and see what you've been missing. But I digress, that's another discussion. Besides you can play .wav files and carry the ipod with you :)
I don't really understand any of this part of the comment.

Could someone explain the "lossless" thing for me? How much difference is there between MP3 and AAC to the EAR? Personally, I can't tell a difference between my .wav and MP3 files. Especially not on my headphones.

-Bubba-

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I use an iPod and iTunes. In addition to buying songs from Apple's iTunes music store, I can load mp3 or wav files acquired from other sources directly into iTunes, and once a song files is loaded into iTunes on my PC, it will get synced to my iPod, and the user experience on the iPod is the same regardless of which way the song was loaded into iTunes. Note that if you load an mp3 or wav file into iTunes from a file on your PC's hard drive, iTunes does not make another copy of it in the iTunes song store - instead it just creates a pointer to the song file that it already stored elsewhere on your PC's hard drive.

For me, this means that iTunes and the iPod work just fine for bringing in mp3 files acquired from other sources such as amazon.com. However, any song you purchase from the iTunes music store is downloaded in its Apple lossless format, so if you end up needing an mp3 copy of such a song, iTunes is not convenient.
Thank you HamonizerNJ, That IS something to keep in mind.

-Bubba-

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.