Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I wanted to know your opinions about trading mouthpieces. I am thinking about asking an online seller to trade on of their Meyer NYUSAs (refaced to 0.080" in good condition) for my JJ DVNY 5 alto and an Otto Link Florida USA alto refaced by Erik Greiffenhagen to .088". Am I crazy? I definitely want the Meyer as I don't really use those two MPs anymore but I don't know if the seller will find that a worthwhile trade and I'd rather not waste his/her time if its too outlandish. Hope you all are having a wonderful day and I am looking forward to hearing what y'all think.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
They say there's no harm in asking, and I think that's usually true. Unless a seller has specifically said "no trades," there's nothing wrong with sending a PM to ask if s/he is interested. Assuming the mouthpieces under consideration are of roughly equal value, there's no reason for the seller to annoyed. So I'd say, go for it, send the guy an offer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not going to happen. Better off selling the pieces you don't use and buying what you want. The online seller doesn't want the burden and fees of selling additional pieces. My advice is to just buy the piece, see if it's really better than what you already have then unloading what doesn't work for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was done by James Bunte, who I've heard has done some nice work. I tend to like more open pieces so my thinking was this would be worth it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,456 Posts
I don't know if I would give away the Link like that - it seems to have good credentials and would probably bring several hundred.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Some altered mouthpieces are easier to sell. Its pretty easy to sell pieces refaced by Freddie Gregory or signed Jon Van Wie pieces as well as a few others. I sell pieces like that to some of the best players in the world.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,017 Posts
Back when I was fully engaged in mouthpiece hunts, even a Jon Van Wie signed piece lost money for me when I had to dump it. And one thing is for certain with refaced mouthpieces... they didn't work for the one selling them. I suppose you could say that with any mouthpiece up for resale, but a refacer isn't going to add value and an unaltered piece will retain its value.

So from my experience, don't take a risk purchasing refaced mouthpieces unless the seller is practically giving them away. You're gonna lose money.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Hey all,

I wanted to know your opinions about trading mouthpieces. I am thinking about asking an online seller to trade on of their Meyer NYUSAs (refaced to 0.080" in good condition) for my JJ DVNY 5 alto and an Otto Link Florida USA alto refaced by Erik Greiffenhagen to .088". Am I crazy? I definitely want the Meyer as I don't really use those two MPs anymore but I don't know if the seller will find that a worthwhile trade and I'd rather not waste his/her time if its too outlandish. Hope you all are having a wonderful day and I am looking forward to hearing what y'all think.

All the best.
If you are not concerned about the money you will lose in a trade, go for it. Better still if you get a trial period.

You will be in a better place to negotiate if you sell your pieces outright, and buy with cash - again, with a trial period to see if it meets your needs or is just your next paperweight.

P.S. You will need to participate at SotW to increase your post count to 50+ before you have Marketplace access, if you want to sell your mouthpieces here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts