Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently bought an alto Buescher Aristocrat sax at a garage sale and I was wondering what mouthpiece you would recommend to play on it. I curently use my E. Rousseau but I was just wondering what someone else would use/recommend.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,285 Posts
If you're comfortable with the Rousseau and like how it sounds there's probably no reason to change.
But... If there is 'something' lacking then I would suggest taking a trip to a few music shops to try a few different mouthpieces, or getting 3 or 4 that look interesting on trial from someplace like WWBW.
In the end our suggestions are only that. You as the player have to decide for yourself what is right for you, your horn, and your sound concept. :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Buescher, Rascher, and Caravan mpcs all work pretty well on Buescher horns IMO. But that's not to say others have not had success with other mouthpieces. A friend of mine plays a S90 on his Buescher alto with good results. It is all about what you prefer and how you sound on the mouthpiece. As bandmommy said, if the Rousseau works and you like it then stay on it. If you are unhappy with something in your sound then perhaps give it some time and experiment with reeds and work on long tones, overtones, etc... And if you still cannot get the results you want then maybe start looking at other mouthpieces.

This thread has good general descriptions of some different classical mpcs. http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?39665-Index-of-classical-mouthpieces

But the only way you will really find the exact sound you are looking for is by trying them out yourself and practicing long tones, overtones, etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts