Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a Jody Jazz Jet 7 for my Bari on which I have no problem with air and endurance.
The tenor I picked up had a Selmer S80 C* which I knew was super small and I disliked, so I thought “well my Bari piece is .105, I should be able to go up to a 7 or so on tenor too, however, no way.
Went shipping this weekend and quickly learned first hand what folks on here have said, big/open Bari does not equate to the same on others. Ended up with a Link 6 and most certainly pushing a bit to get the air but getting there. Same goes for alto which I ended up on a Meyer 6 (from what appears to look just like a Yamaha 4C that came with the horn.

My question is this...was I just used to smaller mpcs on alto / tenor or is there some physics something going on that I just don’t understand yet? How is blowing a fairly open Bari piece easy but not as easy on the smaller spaces?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
The tenor I picked up had a Selmer S80 C* which I knew was super small and I disliked, so I thought “well my Bari piece is .105, I should be able to go up to a 7 or so on tenor too, however, no way.
Ended up with a Link 6 and most certainly pushing a bit to get the air but getting there.

My question is this...was I just used to smaller mpcs on alto / tenor or is there some physics something going on that I just don’t understand yet? How is blowing a fairly open Bari piece easy but not as easy on the smaller spaces?
Just to clarify, are you saying you tried a 7 tip and had a great deal of difficulty playing it? But now you're starting to get used to a Link 6. A couple of thoughts come to mind. First and foremost, if you were used to playing on a 'super small' C*, then moving up to a 7 will at first feel like a big jump. I'm assuming you play-tested it in the store, and if so, that's not enough time to make any kind of an adjustment. A few weeks might do the job, though.

Secondly, it may not just be the tip size that you find difficult. If you're changing the type of mpc, it might be other design characteristics that gave you trouble. Or simply a poorly faced mpc. Or other factors. Tip opening is only one of many factors that determine how resistant or 'easy blowing' a mpc is.

If you like the Link 6, then stick with it and you'll do fine. After you get used to it and gain some more experience, it will give you a good 'base line' if/when you want to try something else. A lot of players would say a 6 tip is about right on a Link. If you go to a higher baffle mpc, that's when you might want to increase tip size to balance out the baffle (giving the tone some body & warmth). And some mpcs with a large tip play far easier than others with a large tip size. You can't overgeneralize.

Finally, the bari is a different beast.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I use the "same" mpc on tenor and alto.
Both are Couf HR Artist 9*.
They play very differently and also I use different strength reeds.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
There is no formula. I play a 9* or 11 on tenor, 7 on baritone and a 5 on alto.

For a start the tip opening numbers can be fairly irrelevant without the other criteria, mainly the facing curve which can vary hugely and have a big impacts.

Second same mouthpiece across the different size horns doesn't equate. It can do for some people, but not for many others such as myself.

So there you go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts