Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a high school student who has been looking into changing up my mouthpiece set up. I've been playing a modern day selmer soloist that I had opened up to about a 6* for the past several months, and I've had a lot of enjoyment with it's mellow dark tone. But now I'm looking for something a little more husky and powerful, something I can't quite get with the soloist. I've been looking into the modern day otto link new york, and I was wondering if I should stick to a 6* tip opening if moving to metal for the first time or if I should get something smaller or larger. Or if you have any suggestions for pieces I should look into. (Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong spot on the forum, I'm still a little confused how to navigate it sometimes)

Much thanks,
Cole C

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Any chance you're in reasonable distance to a music store where you could try various mouthpieces with your sax?

I'm in a similar position as you, but there's a store where I can play-test mouthpieces.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
Alto or Tenor?
The post is in the Bb Tenor subforum...

If you want to switch to metal that’s cool, but don’t limit yourself to just metal pieces because of a sound you want. Try whatever you can, plenty of non-metal pieces that’ll do the trick.
Do you have a lesson teacher? Try what they have. Try whatever your section mates are playing too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Hello all,

I'm a high school student who has been looking into changing up my mouthpiece set up. I've been playing a modern day selmer soloist that I had opened up to about a 6* for the past several months, and I've had a lot of enjoyment with it's mellow dark tone. But now I'm looking for something a little more husky and powerful, something I can't quite get with the soloist. I've been looking into the modern day otto link new york, and I was wondering if I should stick to a 6* tip opening if moving to metal for the first time or if I should get something smaller or larger. Or if you have any suggestions for pieces I should look into. (Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong spot on the forum, I'm still a little confused how to navigate it sometimes)

Much thanks,
Cole C
“Husky and powerful” describes my Phil-Tone “Intrepid” (HR). Phil makes some great metal ‘pieces - I’ve played them, and I’ve played a few dozen others, but the bottom line is that you don’t need “metal” to get there.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Well, personally I prefer the hard rubber - I doubt anyone has trouble hearing me.

You could try:

- Meyer
- Otto Link "New Vintage" hard rubber
- Berg Larsen rubber
- Vandoren jazz
- Runyon

for a selection of reasonably priced hard rubber pieces with more bite projection than the Selmer Soloist.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
“Husky and powerful” describes my Phil-Tone “Intrepid” (HR). Phil makes some great metal ‘pieces - I’ve played them, and I’ve played a few dozen others, but the bottom line is that you don’t need “metal” to get there.
+1. It's fine if you're looking for a metal Link, but the fact that it's metal has nothing to do with getting a "husky and powerful" sound. The DESIGN, and of course how you play, has far more to do with differences in sound than the material of the mpc. Put another way the reason you are getting a "mellow dark tone" out of the Soloist is not because it's a hard rubber mpc. It's because it has a very low baffle and relatively large chamber.

You can get a hard rubber mpc of a different design that will blow the roof off and be far more powerful than a Soloist or a metal Link. I'm not saying that's what you should do (best to stick with a 'middle of the road' design until you have more experience), but just making the point that it's the design that counts most. Some prefer the feel of metal or HR, but that's a different factor.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,592 Posts
Well, personally I prefer the hard rubber - I doubt anyone has trouble hearing me.

You could try:

- Meyer
- Otto Link "New Vintage" hard rubber
- Berg Larsen rubber
- Vandoren jazz
- Runyon

for a selection of reasonably priced hard rubber pieces with more bite projection than the Selmer Soloist.

Not sure what the budget is, but I’d add the rico select jazz to this list, especially is you can score one used. I played the whole tray of them in black rubber plus some prototypes in different marbled rubber finishes and all of them were great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts