Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies, if it's been covered.
I did see several discussions about flying with horns, but I am moving from California to Spain and taking three horns, plus all household furniture.
The furniture goes into a big 20 foot container, has anyone shipped their instruments this way? My horns have fitted hard cases and I estimate the value of the three to be $14,000. thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I suppose you could negotiate with the household movers to take your instruments along in that load, but I'd make sure each horn was solidly packed inside their individual cases AND that the cases were not stowed underneath anything else - placed on top of it all. Even with care, some items are often broken in such moves, so there is risk no matter how you do it.

Maybe you could ship each instrument separately after it had been professionally packed. I've received several instruments over the years from a European retailer and each has arrived unscathed.

Maybe take one of them with you when you travel to your new home, leaving only two to be exposed to the shipping risks. Good luck! DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I'd be most concerned about theft rather than damage. I recently moved within the U.S., and made an extra trip from NM to CA for my instruments. It was a two day trip, so I unloaded the whole vehicle at night and slept with my horns and guitars in the hotel room.

Check with the moving company to ensure they are bonded, and that the container has tamper-resistant closures with locks.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
Any good professional removals firm will just deal with it. They are used to valuable antique vases etc. There will be insurance. Just let them know the instruments are very fragile and double check the insurance and valuation evidence you have.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, Dave, G and Pete...thats all very helpful and reassuring

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Whamptoncourt...the sea air would be a consideration. I will put a pad guard swab inside each horn, add some bubble wrap inside the case and tape the seals of each case.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Don't forget to put a bag of desiccant in each case (to absorb moisture). Leather pads will go moldy otherwise with high humidity which you will definitely have in a shipboard container going through the tropics. The desiccant will only work if you've got the lid well sealed with tape.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If it were me, I'd put the cases, horns protected and cases sealed as described, in another sturdy large box, suspended in and separated by several layers of bubble wrap. Maybe a wooden shipping crate. Either that or I'd send them separately. Even then, I'd put each case inside another box, well padded.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I'd be most concerned about theft rather than damage. I recently moved within the U.S., and made an extra trip from NM to CA for my instruments. It was a two day trip, so I unloaded the whole vehicle at night and slept with my horns and guitars in the hotel room.

Check with the moving company to ensure they are bonded, and that the container has tamper-resistant closures with locks.
Where in CA did you move?

·
Registered
697 Posts
there is a forum member who moved to denmark, i think, in the last year or so and took his horns with him. i think he mentioned having to pay import fees in addition to shipping costs. i wonder if it might be easier to sell the horns here and buy new there. good luck.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
A friend of mine imports US "vintage" cars to Germany on a regular basis and to recoup some of the cost, he rents out the interior space of the cars for storage. It might be worth looking into something like that and work with the owner of such a car directly. If they are concerned about the condition of the vehicle, they might emphasize with your instruments and make sure they will be stored appropriately.

Otherwise, I bought myself for Christmas that Medusa alto from Australia (Twombles62) and it arrived in perfect condition - it was properly packed.

With respect to customs, the tax and customs treaty between the US and most EU countries allows for bringing personal - household items - free of import taxes if you move. You can look up the different treaties online (Google) and there are differences between different countries, so make sure that you are looking at Spain.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow-Up: My horns sat in their cases on a container on a ship in the ocean for 2 months, yet arrived safely. I put key clamps on the Selmer tenor, the alto and sop faired well without clamps. The shippers wrapped them sheets of thick newsprint and they arrived in tune. We used Rainer Worldwide and our stuff was packed by California Relocation Services.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts