Sax on the Web Forum banner

Moving from Alto saxophone to Tenor saxophone,any tips?

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  koumou 
What about reeds? Is it true that because tenor reeds are longer, you should step up a half in stiffness from what you were using with the alto. For example,... doing a Meyer 5M/Rico 2.5 on an Alto means best move is to a Meyer 6M/Rico 3.0? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

Jr.

I do not think so. I use the same type of mouthpiece and the same type of reed on both. I might even use a softer reed on tenor.

On Meyer mouthpieces: Take a look at http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.tenorsax.html and http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.altosax.html. They show that Meyer tenor mouthpieces are more closed than the opening numbers seem to indicate. I use a Meyer 7 on alto (a medium opening) and tried a Meyer 7 on tenor (turned out to a have a narrow opening). Therefore, a Meyer 6 on tenor is more closed than a Meyer 5 on alto. Go figure.
Really,... I'm new to this and will be receiving my first tenor this Friday, so I'm using tonight to research and tomorrow to pick up a box of reeds. The plan is to buy a box of Rico Reserves locally and order a few different types from WWBW,... this way I'll have something to blow while waiting on UPS. My Alto is a Phil Barone Vintage and it came with one of his NY6M pieces. I use Reserves, V16 and Fibracell with it with good results,... mainly Reserves here lately. The tenor is also a Phil Barone Vintage and will come with his Vintage 7 mouthpiece. So I'm just a trying to figure out best course. I do plan to move from V16's and go with RSJ, but the real confusion is figuring out the best stiffness.I guess sticking with like stiffness is as good a place to start as any.

After a couple weeks, I'll also be looking at a mouthpiece suitable for school,... as I suspect the Barone Vintage 7 will be aggressive for school. I've been able to make my Meyer 5M work for me at school on the Alto, so I may try the same thing with the tenor,... another Meyer as opposed to a TL3 or 4. But right now, I'm just trying to get a read on this whole reed thing before the horn gets here Friday. Thanks for your reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.