Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Probably the most difficult thing you'll come up against when you're marching with a tenor round your neck instead of an alto is your thumb slipping off the thumb hook, especially on hot sweaty days. If you look at tenor saxes in marching bands you'll see all kinds of things done to the thumb hook to alleviate this problem. When I march with my tenor, (thankfully not often!!), I crank the thumb hook hard over to the right because that's the way my thumb sits when I hold the tenor in front of me on the march, (rather than at my side when sitting down when I have the thumb hook vertical), and I bind the thumb hook with rubberized tape, sometimes called self-amalgamating tape. This gets really sticky with the heat from your thumb and it works well, for me anyway. I even saw a home brewed thumb hook once made out of flattened copper pipe. It was a complete ring so that when he stuck his thumb in there there was no way it was going to slip out on the march. I asked him how he changed his music in the lyre on the march - he just grinned and said "I'm a lefty"

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy your tenor on the march - tenors have some of the best marching parts, you get all the lovely counter melodies and usually feature large in march Trio sections too.

Good luck with your thumb hook..........it'd be nice to know if you get the problem and if so what you do to get round it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts