Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in a marching band and im moving from my alto saxophone to a tenor saxophone.Any help for tenor saxophone would be great,thank you.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
Looser embouchure, more air. Also, when selecting a mouthpiece, the equivalent of a Selmer C* on alto is a Selmer D. The tenor has to be held at your side. I got used to holding the alto between my legs and had to adjust to that. Tenor is heavier than alto :^/

·
Registered
494 Posts
Looser embouchure, more air. Also, when selecting a mouthpiece, the equivalent of a Selmer C* on alto is a Selmer D. The tenor has to be held at your side. I got used to holding the alto between my legs and had to adjust to that. Tenor is heavier than alto :^/
Plus: If the tenor is of the same make and "model", you just have the problem of selecting a mouthpiece. Otherwise you have two problems...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Probably the most difficult thing you'll come up against when you're marching with a tenor round your neck instead of an alto is your thumb slipping off the thumb hook, especially on hot sweaty days. If you look at tenor saxes in marching bands you'll see all kinds of things done to the thumb hook to alleviate this problem. When I march with my tenor, (thankfully not often!!), I crank the thumb hook hard over to the right because that's the way my thumb sits when I hold the tenor in front of me on the march, (rather than at my side when sitting down when I have the thumb hook vertical), and I bind the thumb hook with rubberized tape, sometimes called self-amalgamating tape. This gets really sticky with the heat from your thumb and it works well, for me anyway. I even saw a home brewed thumb hook once made out of flattened copper pipe. It was a complete ring so that when he stuck his thumb in there there was no way it was going to slip out on the march. I asked him how he changed his music in the lyre on the march - he just grinned and said "I'm a lefty"

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy your tenor on the march - tenors have some of the best marching parts, you get all the lovely counter melodies and usually feature large in march Trio sections too.

Good luck with your thumb hook..........it'd be nice to know if you get the problem and if so what you do to get round it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
More Air, but dont honk.
if you dont have a good reed you will honk and sound awful.
I learned that during the parades this year....
bleck.
ear vommit.....

·
Banned
492 Posts
What about reeds? Is it true that because tenor reeds are longer, you should step up a half in stiffness from what you were using with the alto. For example,... doing a Meyer 5M/Rico 2.5 on an Alto means best move is to a Meyer 6M/Rico 3.0? Or is it a little more complicated than that?

Jr.

·
Registered
494 Posts
What about reeds? Is it true that because tenor reeds are longer, you should step up a half in stiffness from what you were using with the alto. For example,... doing a Meyer 5M/Rico 2.5 on an Alto means best move is to a Meyer 6M/Rico 3.0? Or is it a little more complicated than that?
I do not think so. I use the same type of mouthpiece and the same type of reed on both. I might even use a softer reed on tenor.

On Meyer mouthpieces: Take a look at http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.tenorsax.html and http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.altosax.html. They show that Meyer tenor mouthpieces are more closed than the opening numbers seem to indicate. I use a Meyer 7 on alto (a medium opening) and tried a Meyer 7 on tenor (turned out to a have a narrow opening). Therefore, a Meyer 6 on tenor is more closed than a Meyer 5 on alto. Go figure.

·
Banned
492 Posts
I do not think so. I use the same type of mouthpiece and the same type of reed on both. I might even use a softer reed on tenor.

On Meyer mouthpieces: Take a look at http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.tenorsax.html and http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.altosax.html. They show that Meyer tenor mouthpieces are more closed than the opening numbers seem to indicate. I use a Meyer 7 on alto (a medium opening) and tried a Meyer 7 on tenor (turned out to a have a narrow opening). Therefore, a Meyer 6 on tenor is more closed than a Meyer 5 on alto. Go figure.
Really,... I'm new to this and will be receiving my first tenor this Friday, so I'm using tonight to research and tomorrow to pick up a box of reeds. The plan is to buy a box of Rico Reserves locally and order a few different types from WWBW,... this way I'll have something to blow while waiting on UPS. My Alto is a Phil Barone Vintage and it came with one of his NY6M pieces. I use Reserves, V16 and Fibracell with it with good results,... mainly Reserves here lately. The tenor is also a Phil Barone Vintage and will come with his Vintage 7 mouthpiece. So I'm just a trying to figure out best course. I do plan to move from V16's and go with RSJ, but the real confusion is figuring out the best stiffness.I guess sticking with like stiffness is as good a place to start as any.

After a couple weeks, I'll also be looking at a mouthpiece suitable for school,... as I suspect the Barone Vintage 7 will be aggressive for school. I've been able to make my Meyer 5M work for me at school on the Alto, so I may try the same thing with the tenor,... another Meyer as opposed to a TL3 or 4. But right now, I'm just trying to get a read on this whole reed thing before the horn gets here Friday. Thanks for your reply.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
The length of the reed doesn't mean SQUAT.
If the mouthpiece has a close tip opening you go up in reed strength and if it's more open you go down in reed strength.
On the Barone that you are getting with your new tenor you might want to try something in a 2.5.
Rico Orange box, LaVoz, Hemke... These work really well on my Barone HR.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,940 Posts
Really,... I'm new to this and will be receiving my first tenor this Friday...

The tenor is also a Phil Barone Vintage and will come with his Vintage 7 mouthpiece. So I'm just a trying to figure out best course. I do plan to move from V16's and go with RSJ...
Why plan a reed switch before you even try them?

FWIW, I was using RSJ about 15 years ago, spent about 10 years on Alexander DCs, and more recently rediscovered V16s! I now use both DC and V16.

I would not tailor my tenor sound based on an alto setup. Please treat them as separate instruments and find your voice on each independently.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I've been able to make my Meyer 5M work for me at school on the Alto, so I may try the same thing with the tenor,... another Meyer as opposed to a TL3 or 4. But right now, I'm just trying to get a read on this whole reed thing before the horn gets here Friday. Thanks for your reply.
Meyrs are not very good on tenors. I have a TL4 that works very well on the Vintage, although I tend to use my Warburton LA or Vandoren V16 T75. The Vandoren V16 HR is also a nice mouthpiece. I have one that I hated on my Yamaha, but it sounds very good on the vintage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts