Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I was taking some photos for the repair forum and whilst I was at it thought I'd add some mouthpiece photos.
https://flic.kr/p/6021575093 https://flic.kr/p/6022131280 https://flic.kr/p/6022130778
These came with my 60's Conn 16M. The one on the left is older but probably not original, and the one I prefer. The one on the right (Ebolin) was a recent purchase by the previous owner. It's significantly shorter so I find pushing it on far enough to get a decent seal makes many notes in the upper register very stuffy - presumably because it has put it out of tune being so far in. I also find the Ebolin mouthpiece too bright for my liking but maybe that's because I've mostly been practicing with the other.

What can you tell me about these mouthpieces?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The ebolin is a Brillhart brand. The fact that it is stamped #3 could account for some of the percieved stuffiness. It has a narrow-ish gap between the tip and the reed. A stiffer reed is usually indicated by this gap opening (or suitable for a beginner with a softer reed). Charlie Parker sometimes played a Brillhard Ebolin (white with black tooth guard). I think his might have been a #5. I don't see any clues on the other one to help with ID.
Cheers, Frank

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Brilhart numbers are supposedly inconsistent. Don't know if that's over time, between models, or what.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
It does not seem that a specific time or model is more inconsistent than another.
Part of my collection of info on Brilhart mouthpieces is the published tip openings which I have collected in a separate spreadsheet to be found here: www.saxmundstykker.dk The info downloads as a workbook with 9 spreadsheets. The most popular openings are 3 and 4 and maybe 5 and the openings are nicely centered around the official Brilhart values, which can be found in a brochure Arnold Brilhart published when he introduced the ARB line of mouthpieces. Anyone is free to look at the spreadsheet and draw his own conclusions. One example only for tenor marked 4 or 4* which officially should be .085".
Out of 44 tenor pieces marked 4 or 4*, total range was .074" to .096" (plus one of .115) and 75 percent were measured from .080" to .090". I think this is more positive than the general opinion, taking into account that these measurements were made by different people using different instruments and different principles for measuring, not to mention possible refacings.
The less popular openings are worse, and especially the large ones are much lower than the "official" ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
The ebolin is a Brillhart brand. The fact that it is stamped #3 could account for some of the percieved stuffiness. It has a narrow-ish gap between the tip and the reed. A stiffer reed is usually indicated by this gap opening (or suitable for a beginner with a softer reed). Charlie Parker sometimes played a Brillhard Ebolin (white with black tooth guard). I think his might have been a #5. I don't see any clues on the other one to help with ID.
Cheers, Frank
Sorry, but white with black tooth guard is Tonalin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts