Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may seem like a stupid question, but on some mouthpiece sizes, there is a * after the number. What does this mean?

Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Mostly to mark a 1/2 size between the next number. For example, Otto Link Tenor mouthpieces go in increments of 10 between numbers. 7=100 tip opening and 8=110. A 7* is 105.

·
2,319 Posts
On the Brilhart Ebolins the * means a shorter facing than the non stars. So a 4* has a shorter facing than a 4 with the same tip opening.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I was told that the * for the Brilharts meant a more open chamber by my teacher at the time. The first tenor mpc I owned was a Brilhart 5*.

But yeah in general it fills in the cap. Selmer's mouthpieces go ...C,C*,C**,D,E etc. in order of tip opening.

·
2,319 Posts
MM said:
I was told that the * for the Brilharts meant a more open chamber by my teacher at the time. The first tenor mpc I owned was a Brilhart 5*.

But yeah in general it fills in the cap. Selmer's mouthpieces go ...C,C*,C**,D,E etc. in order of tip opening.
According to a Selmer catalogue from around 1975, the information I gave is correct. Also, if you look at a Woodwind/Brasswind catalogue mouthpiece chart, you will see that the * sizes and non * sizes are the same opening. With most other mouthpieces the * indicate a larger tip opening.

·
4,147 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
At one time the * signified a long facing rail curvature in some mpcs.

I think Dukoff was one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
As far as Selmer and Link, the star is just the next tip opening. I have heard all of the Brilhart stories but we all know that any Brilhart will need to be tried or measured. I have a tonalite 4* for tenor and it is about a 7* of the new Ebolins.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
It's similiar to reeds. A 2.5 would be a 2*, if people used terminology similar to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts