Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a high school student looking to buy a good, bright bari piece for jazz ensemble. I have a V16, but it’s only a b5, and is a bit to dark for my liking. I have been playing my teacher’s Berg 110/2 sms, and love the piece, but from what I understand, the new models are wildly inconsistent, and often don’t even work out of the box. I am currently between the RPC high baffle, the Arnold Montgomery Aras, and the Francois Louis Spectruoso. If anyone has any experience with any of these pieces, or know another to try, I would appreciate it greatly!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You might want to start by trying a V16 B7 which will give you a tip opening closer to the .110 Berg ( assuming the Berg is correctly sized which there's no guarantee of) as well as a similar design medium baffle and bullet chamber.

Of the pieces you have listed I'd take the RPC every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've played a handful of FL tenor and bari pieces and didn't like any of them and the one Montgomery bari piece I tried I didn't care for at all either though I'm sure there are fans of both out there. Ron makes great bari pieces and you can call him and tell him exactly what you are looking for. By all accounts he's very very good at translating customers verbal descriptions into pieces that play they way they want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’d still go to a shop and try a whole lot of modern bergs out! Yes you’re right they are super inconsistent, but there are still good ones. I’ve found the modern metal ones to be a little more consistent though, so keep that in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
Phil-tone Impulse

Designed around the berg concept
I think he's asking for a baritone piece though, unless you've started making the Impulse for baritones too?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
You better be sure with a metal one since refacing one is very expensive if you can find someone willling tomwork on stainless.

Oh..lI failed to mention the difference between my piece and a berg.

It is made properly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You better be sure with a metal one since refacing one is very expensive if you can find someone willling tomwork on stainless.

It is made properly.
True true, but if you find a good one, go for it. I’m sure you’d agree that if you go into buying a brand new piece you should never go into buying it with the thought of possibly getting it refaced soon.. if it’s new out the box, go for gold.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I got a used baritone Berg 105/2 that Phil opened up to 110 and made really great. Another route to consider.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’d still go to a shop and try a whole lot of modern bergs out! Yes you’re right they are super inconsistent, but there are still good ones. I’ve found the modern metal ones to be a little more consistent though, so keep that in mind!

Ideally that’s what I’d do, but no stores within reasonable distance from me actually keep bari mouthpieces in stock

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It is made properly.
Is your piece available for bari? I am not looking for a tenor piece.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d prefer to get a piece that doesn’t need to be refaced, because I’ll already be dropping $300+ on a piece, would prefer to not drop another $200 to get it to play properly

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
If you come across Jody Jazz’s stuff, they are all pretty good on baritone, with that rather bright Berg-ish flavor. Mine is an ESP, but the resin/rubber equivalent is very nice too. I’m sure there should be some around in this community. Speaking of the discontinued models. I’m less familiar with his current baritone models. His prices seem to target Wallstreet brokers more than hobbyists, so it might not be for evryone.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
Check out the baritone "Hoss" by Saxquest. It is based on the Berg design. I believe that they will let you try it and return within 5 days if you do not like it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’d prefer to get a piece that doesn’t need to be refaced, because I’ll already be dropping $300+ on a piece, would prefer to not drop another $200 to get it to play properly
Couldn’t agree more! Sucks there is no shop that stocks bari mouthpieces around you... You could always put out some feelers to see if someone (or eBay) is selling a modern berg cheaply that hasn’t been messed with, and if it isn’t for you, flog it on eBay for what you bought it for. See if you can find one for under $200 perhaps.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Why not try and find a secondhand Berg ? Have a look at www.secondhandsaxes.com, for example. He's currently got six Berg baritone pieces listed, three HR and three metal. Prices are in Australian dollars, so take one-third off to get the approximate US dollar price.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I am also a Berg Bari guy and teach HS jazz. Love the berg sound on bari. I use a V16 B5 for our kids, and its just wonderful. Ease of control with the berg clarity and bite. Highly recommended!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,897 Posts
I have drawers full of bari pieces, including most of the pieces previously mentioned, and keep going back to my V16 B9. Or one of my RPC pieces.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am also a Berg Bari guy and teach HS jazz. Love the berg sound on bari. I use a V16 B5 for our kids, and its just wonderful. Ease of control with the berg clarity and bite. Highly recommended!
I have a B5, but I think the vandorens are too dark for what I’m looking for

1 - 20 of 47 Posts