Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used Selmer Paris Super Action 80 Series II from ebay and the guy included an older Meyer 5M and a Selmer S 80 C*. Both are from the early 90's and I was just hoping to get some information about them. I have a new C* that I just purchased last year. When I compare the two the older one has a more rounded tip and I think the tone is a little bit darker on it. Any ideas? It also came with a dark Rovner lig and I already had an Eddie Daniels lig. Any opinions on set up? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
They're both good pieces that the former player liked using a Rovner lig. Very possibly they are 'better' than current production.
Don't over think the set up. If you like the mouthpieces, use them. Same thing with the ligature.
If not, list them here. Someone will be more than happy to take them off your hands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
+1 on bandmommy's comments. In all my years of playing, I've only found a few mouthpieces that wouldn't speak for me. It does require that you experiment with various reed strengths, brands, and cuts. But once you find the right reed for each of those pieces, both should work.

The fact that one older version of the same mouthpiece plays differently is to be expected. While I've found consistency among Selmer mouthpieces, sometimes the same model will play differently than one of similar manufacturer and design.

I played Meyers on alto for years but recently re-discovered the S-80 C* Selmer when I put a soft Fibracell reed on it (1 1/2 Premium). That now is my choice.

As far as ligatures, any will work but I prefer the stock metal Selmer ligs. Everyone is different. DAVE

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,287 Posts
Hi Dave -- I just wrote a post on the Ligatures sub-board. The gist of it is that I was starting to question my alto setup (refaced and opened vintage Lakey 4*4, Rovner EVO-5 ligature, Marca 2-1/2 reeds) because I felt I was not getting the "singing" alto sound I recalled getting once upon a time. (This observed after listening to some recent test recordings.) For the heck of it, I pulled out an old Selmer brass 2-screw ligature and put in on in place of the EVO-5. The sound was noticeably more vibrant, and I was getting overtones I had not previously heard from the Lakey. I recalled that Jon Van Wie had once told me he preferred a regular old 2-screw Selmer ligature over anything else.

By the way... When the original poster first said he had an older Meyer 5M thrown in with his new horn, I thought "hommina-hommina-hommina..." knowing that the REAL older Meyer 5M's were the coveted Phil Woods mpcs that everybody and his brother pays enormous amounts of money for. THEN I saw it was (we assume) from the 1990's. Whew. I was about to tell him he had a very valuable mpc there. But just the same, maybe we better ask ak4president if the shank says "New York," "New York USA," or just "USA." Now I'm curious! :-D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in only says made in usa. I'm sorry for the confusion. I should have realized that 20 years old is "older" to me but most people on this forum would think "older" as like from the 20s haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts