Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to receive a SDA baritone (no low A, mint condition). The owner bought in Paris in 1969 and chose it among other saxophones, including Mark VI baris.
I was wondering, independantly from the sound I want to get, if some SDA bari owners could give me some examples of mouthpieces (HR or metal) that work well with it.
I know it has a large bore so maybe large chamber mouthpieces would work ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
Interesting. I would have thought their baritones would be characteristically French with more of a standard Selmer like bore...or like their tenor. Its curious that they decided to go with a larger bore on Bari. Guess you cant generalize from one horn to the next.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you, it's curious. I had a Buffet S1 soprano and it was quite narrow.
I'm looking forward to blow it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I’m sure it will be a nice horn.
I don’t imagine it would require a particular type of piece to play in tune, only one that you like and are comfortable with.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now, and this subject is one is exactly what I struggled with for over a decade.

I too had a 1969 SDA low A baritone for 26 or so years. It was by far the most mpc finicky horn I ever owned. Anything with a small chamber would wack out the intonation but with a large chamber mpc, like my Caravan, it was the worlds best classical baritone. The problem was, I needed something more commercial, and my days of being a classical baritone saxophonist (as I try to still say that with a straight face) were becoming numbered. I played at Rascher's house, made final rounds with the Cost Guard band, and subbed often with the West Point Band with that set up, but any time I came home from a funk or jazz gig, no matter which mpc I was trying left me feeling empty. I finally settled on one of Eric Griffenhagen's Double Chamber mpc's. That KINDA worked better than most others. Today if I still had that horn I would like to try one of the newly produced Morgan GM mpc's with it (thats also made by Eric). GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I had two babies at home so not much time to play... and my S1 tenor is my main instrument.
I play a Lawton metal on my SDA, great sound and great for harmonics and sound effects (that was what I looked for one year ago) but not well balanced on the full range, and lack of projection in my opinion.
So I'm looking for a large chamber ebonite mpc and I'm about to order a Morgan GM as advised by Graysax, or maybe a JodyJazz HR*.
To be continued

·
3,209 Posts
I think if the Morgan GM was around when I had my SBA thats one I would of loved with it. I know that they offer an extended shank for vintage horns. Might be a thought to have on the SBA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think if the Morgan GM was around when I had my SBA thats one I would of loved with it. I know that they offer an extended shank for vintage horns. Might be a thought to have on the SBA.
I have contacted them yesterday and they think the extra shank is not needed with the SDA, only for American vintage horns.

·
3,209 Posts
Do what you want. Was just talking from experience from owning one. I'm sure they think the SDA is like every other modern Baritone and they are not talking into consideration the large bore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I will do what I want, thanks for the tip.
You may be right.
Here is their answer, for those interested: "From our testing and experience so far, it is only the Vintage American horns that require the extended XL shank since they are well known to suffer with tuning problems. From our experience, that is not the case with Buffet horns. The standard shank should be sufficient."

·
Registered
488 Posts
hello
i own a SDA barisax (low a) and never had any tuning problems, mainly using a Morgan Fry mouthpiece, but also have Theo Wanne, RPC, Drake and for more round playing an old Claude Humber... the SDA takes them all without big tuning problems; i found that the larger problem with the sax is the mechanics, when you compare it with a modern instrument- the fingers are quite apart and have to move longer ways

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you tomonsax for your useful message.
I have no intonation issue either with my Lawton.
As usual, let's try some mouthpieces and we'll see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using a metal Otto Link 5 on my SDA low A bari for nearly 40 years. I've tried others along the way but keep coming back to the metal Link. I find it good for concert band work, where you play many styles of music on the same job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW I should have mentioned that I used a Rovner ligature instead of the Link. I found that the reed could slip with the Link lig and that screw often got stuck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have received a Morgan GM with extended shank yesterday. Can't stop playing it.
The best sound and intonation I have ever had on my SDA baritone low Bb, very versatile and well balanced on full range, also very easy to play.
I think I've found my Grail.

·
3,209 Posts
Now your making me wish I didn't sell that horn!

Regardless - enjoy the setup!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts