Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a mouthpiece that works nicely for me on jazz and pop, a Morgan Excalibur 6. I recently changed back from 4 Fibracell reeds because I'm working at altissimo and get a better response out of cane reeds, at least for now while I'm just beginning altissimo. For cane, I tried 2.5 Red Java, because I had them sitting around. They pop altissimo nicely, but they are too buzzy for the more classical stuff I sometimes play. I tried 3 Green Javas, as possibly being middle of the road, but they seem too hard to get a response out of on this mouthpiece for me. The whole hassle of blowing in cane reeds may be part of the problem. I don't seem to be good at adjusting them with 400 grit sandpaper or scraping.

If I switched to Blue Box 2.5, would those work OK on this large of an opening, do you think? Should I try Java Green 2.5s? Something else?

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,877 Posts
If I switched to Blue Box 2.5, would those work OK on this large of an opening, do you think? Should I try Java Green 2.5s? Something else?
It's not a very large opening and besides, any make of reed can work on any tip opening if it suits the player. I would recommend you try something else anyway, a good synthetic, such as the Légère Signature.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have ordered a Legere Signature, but I have a feeling I would also like the option of cane reeds. It can't hurt to have both in my arsenal. I appreciate someone taking time to let me know the cane options.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I was playing a Morgan 6L I used Rigotti 3.5 strong to put some brightness back into the dark character of the Morgan. Blue box vandos were my first choice for a darker reed, probably 2.5-3 strength.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,211 Posts
I'm using a mouthpiece that works nicely for me on jazz and pop, a Morgan Excalibur 6. I recently changed back from 4 Fibracell reeds because I'm working at altissimo and get a better response out of cane reeds, at least for now while I'm just beginning altissimo. For cane, I tried 2.5 Red Java, because I had them sitting around. They pop altissimo nicely, but they are too buzzy for the more classical stuff I sometimes play. I tried 3 Green Javas, as possibly being middle of the road, but they seem too hard to get a response out of on this mouthpiece for me. The whole hassle of blowing in cane reeds may be part of the problem. I don't seem to be good at adjusting them with 400 grit sandpaper or scraping.

The Excalibur model is a buzzy mouthpiece. You can only change so much...

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,672 Posts
I find the Excalibur to be the mellowest MP I have. The opposite of buzzy. Disclaimers, ...

Probably the OP will have to figure out what works on their own, like everybody has to.

dat
sax
man

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know, with the Legere and other synthetic reeds, whether you can use the reed on more than one mouthpiece successfully, or whether you need a reed devoted to each different mpc? I know cane reeds get used to bending in a certain spot and shouldn't switch mpcs, but was not sure whether the synthetics were similar. (...since I may sometimes use my plastic Buescher mpc, but I like the Morgan's tuning better, so was hoping to find a way to use it for classical instead of switching back to the Buescher.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Legere arrived today and it does help this mpc be less buzzy. I don't think it's darker, but it's prettier. I can't get altissimo on it, so I'll be sticking with cane reeds for when I need altissimo. I think the reed will serve me well for situations where I need to blend with others. The low notes respond nicely. It certainly responds well for vibrato and staccato notes too. Perhaps I ordered too soft. I tried to use the comparison charts to do my best, but people seem to disagree about whether these run softer or harder than listed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,211 Posts
Does anyone know, with the Legere and other synthetic reeds, whether you can use the reed on more than one mouthpiece successfully, or whether you need a reed devoted to each different mpc? I know cane reeds get used to bending in a certain spot and shouldn't switch mpcs...
Whether that is an issue depends on the character of the table of the mouthpiece(s), and how hard you clamp the reed with the ligature.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could try Hemke 2.5...
I truly like the Hemke's! They have a lovely, dark tone without being stuffy. The 2.5's respond well, and so far, 3 out of the 3 I've opened and played are good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,347 Posts
The ex is a well made mpc but it's pretty damn bright.

Also, for the record. Thin rails in themselves do not make for a bright mouthpiece, it's more about the chamber.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I have a SR Tech metal mpc with very thin rails and the reed hangs over them since the mpc is narrower than every reed I've tried.
I find the placement of the reed is crucial to articulation and tone. I agree with Dr G that the tension applied by the lig is a factor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,781 Posts
Vandoren v16 are not buzzy and have a nice dark core to them (I've found anyway). They run a tad hard though, so if you are used to playing Java 3 (for example) you should go 2.5 on v16

1 - 18 of 18 Posts