Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how often should I wash my bari mouthpieces?

One is hard rubber and the other is metal, is there is a different in how often it should be because of the material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
You will get a dozen answers but reguarly wipe it out to keepmfrom getting white buildup...dry every time you play.

I think occasional washing is fine. More often is good.

No hot water on hard rubber

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,212 Posts
I wash mine when they start to get 'funky' and after an illness.
I smoke and drink a lot of coffee so they get a bath every 2 weeks if I've been playing regularly.
If the horn has been out of use for a while the mouthpiece gets a bath before playing just in case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I pull a kerchief through the mpc after every use.

Wash with cool water and soap only occasionally.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I dry mine at the end of the day.

If I have a cold, I wash it every day before use. I use tepid water , soap and a toothbrush. I do the same to my reed.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
It is critical on a metal mouthpiece to remove the reed after playing to prevent corrosion on the table which can ruin a great mouthpiece.

·
825 Posts
I take my mouthpiece after playing and scrub it a bit with a baby toothbrush and whatever liquid soap is there at the sink. It gets dried somewhat with a bit of tissue or towel and placed on a mouthpiece stand to dry. Now that I'm playing clarinet in a community band :( the cork gets a schmeer of Alisyn cork grease.

After practice, I put the piece in an old sock until arriving at home.

You wouldn't eat with a fork and rinse it off and put it back in the drawer, why are mouthpieces different?

·
12,711 Posts
It is critical on a metal mouthpiece to remove the reed after playing to prevent corrosion on the table which can ruin a great mouthpiece.
Yes and on hard rubber leaving a lig tight can warp the piece over time. This is especially so if you crank on the lig screws. Give the piece time to rest and relax.

·
825 Posts
Less food content for bacteria to grow on?
True, but there's still plenty of bacteria in your mouth, without any food present,
not to mention the nasty build up of that white stuff on mouthpieces that aren't cleaned regularly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts