Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello C-Melody folks,
I was wondering if I could get some advice on what mouthpiece(s) I should use on my 1921 Martin stencil C sax. I currently have the (at least I think it is) original mouthpiece, a Dukoff D6 (tenor), a Selmer SA80 C* (tenor), a Rico Graftonite B7 (tenor), a Vandoren V16 T7 (tenor), a scroll shank Selmer C facing (alto) and some no name alto mouthpiece that has a slightly larger chamber than the scroll shank Selmer C.

-Original mouthpiece: good intonation, awful sound, however, it doesn't taste that bad
-Dukoff D6 (tenor): workable intonation, very edgy but extremely weak from high G up
-Selmer SA80 C* (tenor): mostly good intonation, a little dull overall
-Rico Graftonite B7 (tenor): good intonation, meh sound (its kinda pointy sounding if that makes sense)
-Vandoren V16 T7 (tenor): terrible intonation, weak at the top end but it has a great sound
-scroll shank Selmer C facing (alto): in tune with itself (I haven't checked it against a tuner but it sounded good to me), does not play well in the low notes (C and lower)
-No Name Alto: in tune with itself ( again, I haven't gotten around to checking it), slightly fuller sounding than the scroll shank Selmer, but still had difficulties on the low notes.

I am looking for two mouthpieces that are easily available; one for classical and one for Jazz (one with a similar sound to the Vandoren V16 on a tenor). Any advice for mouthpieces to try would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

P.S. I am primarily a tenor player but I do not object to using alto mouthpieces to get the best results.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I got a modern brilhart 5 and a rico metalite, tenors. Both cheap and both sound great on the Martin C.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Is the horn free from leaks & generally in good condition?
I ask because any of my three C tenors (Buescher TT, Martin and Lyon & Healy) work well with the majority of the mouthpieces mentioned by you.
My choice is therefore directed by my style of music....certainly not limited by which mouthpiece will work.
Currently I favour an SR Tech 0.115 Fusion but any of the three horns are happy & solid with:- Otto-Link STM
Metalite 9 or 11
Berg Larsen S/S
Jody Jazz ESP
Runyon Quantum Dukoff D7.
Selmer short shank C* & Soloist D also work but are rather sound limited.
All tenor mouthpieces.
Without doubt the horns would work well with any number of other pieces but the above list is those in my possession.
They also "work" with original Martin, Buescher or Conn pieces by the sound is not to my taste.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I can tell it doesn't have any leaks, I just had it overhauled in December. I think I'll take a look at the ones you suggested... and work on making the ones I've already got sound better. Thanks for the help!

·
6,715 Posts
As far as I can tell it doesn't have any leaks, I just had it overhauled in December. I think I'll take a look at the ones you suggested... and work on making the ones I've already got sound better. Thanks for the help!
Be aware that STMs & Dukoffs are not known for their consistency.
I have an STM 6* which is better as a paperweight, and a Dukoff which doubles as a door stop. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be aware that STMs & Dukoffs are not known for their consistency.
I have an STM 6* which is better as a paperweight, and a Dukoff which doubles as a door stop
I just checked the table on my Dukoff, its a little concave and the rails appear to be uneven.

·
6,715 Posts
I just checked the table on my Dukoff, its a little concave and the rails appear to be uneven.
If you ever need another, with exactly the same faults....to be used as book-ends or something, just contact me. :)

·
6,715 Posts
I can fix doorstops.
I know you can MojoBari, but I have so many mouthpieces which I prefer, that do not require fixing; they worked straight out of the box....as I believe, perhaps naively, they should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts