Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Link Tone Master 8NY and my teeth have worn through the black plastic pad an into the mouthpiece. Although it plays OK with my teeth on the brass, I figure I should have it fixed.

Who does the best job of repairing that?

Any other advice?

I've never had to do this in all my years of playing.

Thanks,
Notes

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Mojo can do it I believe. If they don't have a direct replacement bite-plate piece they can use an old/cheap plastic mouthpiece as a surrogate to harvest a piece of plastic from of about the right size and shape. Or, in some cases they build something up in layers using some sort of material that flows a bit like an epoxy. Whether they just fill the hole in or replace the entire bite-plate depends upon how bad it is. Once fixed you should consider using mouthpiece patches ;)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
This happened to me a long time ago. I used some stuff I got at the hardware section of Canadian Tire. I guess an epoxy of some kind. I just filled in the piece, let it dry and smoothed it with sandpaper. Worked fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,480 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,755 Posts
They come in 'thin-clear' which is the favorite of many and it still protects your mouthpiece.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,962 Posts
I believe the OP is referring to the bite plate, not a mouthpiece patch.
Sure is, but given that he chiseled down to the brass a pad might be a good idea. I also prefer the clear thin ones. There are some I got one time that were much tougher/ more rigid material...might be better for someone who has this issue.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I've an old Link STM which had no bite plate. I filled the space with black Sugru. That was three or four years ago. It's working fine — so much so that I can't remember which of the STMs is the one with the Sugru replacement bite plate !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,069 Posts
I’ve replaced a few bite plates both on Link STM and Vandoren pieces plus one or two others.
I used dental acrylic both clear and tinted black.
It’s incredibly tough and I doubt anyone could chew through it in a lifetime of playing.
It is difficult to sand once dry but worth the effort.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,204 Posts
And once you repair the bite plate, use a mpc patch so you never have to replace that bite plate again.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
If you haven't been using them before you'll probably be most comfortable with the thin clear ones to start like these from Vandoren; https://shop.weinermusic.com/VANDOREN-CLEAR-MOUTHPIECE-CUSHIONS-XVMC6/productinfo/XVMC5/

These won't make your piece feel much different so you should be able to get used to them very quickly.

I prefer the thin ones on HR pieces and the thicker black rubber ones on metal pieces but I don't know of anyone else who does this.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use the thin clear ones from Vandoren as well - they're easy to get used to since they're low profile and I don't even notice them anymore. They don't interfere with my embouchure and I haven't worn through any of them yet either. I've had them on for over a year now.

The thick black rubber ones however did feel obstructive when I've used them in the past.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I never used a mouthpiece patch for years, but about ten years ago I noticed that my aging teeth were starting to really do a number on the uper surfaces of my pieces due to many tiny chips. So I started using the thin clear ones. Honestly I don't notice any significant difference in the way it feels with or without the thin patches.

I note that metal MP makers, despite charging ever more stratospheric prices, seem to be deleting the recessed and inset tooth patch and just slapping a thin adhesive patch right on the brass. I think this is kind of crummy, to save a few cents cost of the one machining operation and a few cents on the inset patch, on pieces costing up to $1000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The clear ones sound like what I need.

It's costing me $30 to get the bite plate fixed @ Mojo.

I thought of doing it myself, but to get the epoxy and sand paper would cost almost that much.

Funny, I used my 1960s berg for many, many years and never bit through the plate. But the Link sounds better than the berg to my ears.

Notes

·
Registered
725 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts