Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Yamaha YTS 62 II on order and expect that I will be replacing the mouthpiece shortly. I play "contemporary jazz" (Steve Cole, Boney James, Euge Groove, etc.). While I don't expect to sound like any of them, of course, (and they each have their own, distinct sound) it would be nice to get a mouthpiece that gets me in the right ballpark.

When I got my non-stock mouthpiece for my alto, I went to my sax technician and he let me try about a half dozen new and used brands and styles before I selected a Vandoren V16 he sold. I expect to go back to him when I start to look for the 62 II mouthpiece, but thought I'd get some suggestions on brands/models to keep an eye out for, and get an idea on price ranges for same.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you like the Vandoren enough, but it's not bright enough for you, try Vandoren's Jumbo Java. If it gets too bright for you, I recommend making the drop off of the baffle rounder. I used a pocket knife to attain this result. Just be careful with it. You might also want to try Guardalas, Berg-Larsens (specifically 0s or 1s in the size you want).

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you want to jump straight to world-class quality, at the same price as stock pieces (almost!) you check out www.phil-tone.com!

·
Registered
472 Posts
See my signature below. I ended up with the Vandoren because I felt it was really flexible. For me it can be warm or bright depending on reed selection. Primarily I'm an alto player; I double on tenor. So I was really interested in an easy to play piece. For me, this one fits the bill...until I end up with an inexplicable GAS attack I think I'll stick with it.

Good luck with you're Yammy too. I love mine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dagvie, thanks for the suggestion on the phil-tone. I'll check out the link.

Minous, ditto on the V16. Since I'm playing a V16 for my alto, I'm sure my sax tech has tenor versions for me to try. The only thing about the V16 on my Cannonball alto is that, although I love the deep, rich sound of the Cannonball, sometimes I would like it to sound brighter. Would the V16 tenor piece work with the YTS 62 II and be good for contemporary jazz? Is so, which reeds would create that? I use ZZs for my alto.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's hard to say because everyone is different. I personally find zzs to be fairly bright, all things considered. Don't get me wrong, you put a zz on a Dukoff or a JJ DV and it will cut glass in comparison to the V16. But it can be plenty bright, enough for me anyways, for contemporary jazz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts