Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read various articles in regards to this, but i'm really troubled on a 2nd mouthpiece choice i currently use an AL3 with a rico h, legere SS 2.5.
which i've always loved and is very easy to use.

I may return the otto link stm 6* i bought in order to demo, but it's very difficult to try out any mouthpieces, i heard weiner music and wwbw allowed demos.
i loved the link in the lower and middle register, but it felt like i was putting in way too much work, rougher than bari mind you.

it's tough to find advice when most sax players i come across are know it alls, to make matters they all have drastically different opinions. and this IS the internet after all

i think the baffle may be what i'm confused on, i've read articles and the link is a rollover as the AL3 is straight.

if anyone could throw some suggestions i'd greatly appreciate it.

What works for me
Bari : Yamaha stock, Selmer c* s80
Alto : Yamaha stock, Vandoren AL3

What doesn't
Bari : Vandoren B5, stock cannonball
Alto : Semer c* s80, otto link stm 6*

not too cultured

never stated but trolls will be ignored.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I may return the otto link stm 6* i bought in order to demo, but it's very difficult to try out any mouthpieces, i heard weiner music and wwbw allowed demos.
i loved the link in the lower and middle register, but it felt like i was putting in way too much work, rougher than bari mind you.

it's tough to find advice when most sax players i come across are know it alls, to make matters they all have drastically different opinions. and this IS the internet after all
never stated but trolls will be ignored.
Your Link may have some surfacing issues. For the life of me, I don't understand it, but in this day and age, we still have manufacturers using obsolete methods of fabrication, and even worse - they ship it all, without culling and rejecting the bad ones. My NY Link 7 plays easily.

Yea, there is the usual conjecture, naked opinion, and all out mysticism from some sax enthusiasts, that extends to SOTW. But its not unmanageable. There are quite a few knowledgeable, helpful and pleasant folks on the forum. I try to be one of the latter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,551 Posts
The AL3 has a tip opening of .060 and the STM has a tip opening of .075.
That could be part of your problem.
Also the chamber size of the STM requires more air support than that of th AL3.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Why do you want a new mouthpiece? What sound concept are you aiming for? What type of music to you generally play?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your Link may have some surfacing issues. For the life of me, I don't understand it, but in this day and age, we still have manufacturers using obsolete methods of fabrication, and even worse - they ship it all, without culling and rejecting the bad ones. My NY Link 7 plays easily.

Yea, there is the usual conjecture, naked opinion, and all out mysticism from some sax enthusiasts, that extends to SOTW. But its not unmanageable. There are quite a few knowledgeable, helpful and pleasant folks on the forum. I try to be one of the latter.
So i've heard, i imagined the consistency would be on par with vandoren, given the mouthpiece's price and reputation, i've considered taking it to a tech, but i don't want to be putting in what i imagine to be 50-100$ worth of work that i may not click with you know ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The AL3 has a tip opening of .060 and the STM has a tip opening of .075.
That could be part of your problem.
Also the chamber size of the STM requires more air support than that of th AL3.
It seems real complicated to me, even after i've read article upon article regarding tip, shank, baffle, chamber, etc. it's tough to find that info as product descriptions and reviews only go so far, i don't have any problems tonguing, so i'm looking at the baffle, as i don't understand the concept of how a smaller mouthpiece can have a bigger chamber.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you want a new mouthpiece? What sound concept are you aiming for? What type of music to you generally play?
i've clicked very well with the al3 from the get go, but if i can find something better i'm willing to take the leap to improve sound as i'm riding on an important audition.
i can't say what sound i'm aiming for, but at this point (as i'm unexperienced) i'm shooting in the dark i'd like a sound like fela or earl bostic.
nothing special just classical and jazz for the time being.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update : mouthpiece is really singing today, in all registers, i'm thinking it may just take a while to get used to, as with mouth mpc's i left it out, but i haven't even had it for a week.

it seems like sub-toning really helps too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,572 Posts
Did you adjust reed strength for the difference in tip opening?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
The AL3 will work fine for what you want. Stick with it until you there is something you are trying to do and the mouthpiece is putting up a roadblock.

The key to a better sound is ALWAYS a combination of embouchure placement, throat opening, air speed and diaphragm support. Changing your mouthpiece won't make you sound any different. Changing embouchure, throat, etc. will. But it takes work and attention to detail.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you adjust reed strength for the difference in tip opening?
i'm using a Legere SS 2.5 on my optimum and a legere 2 studio cut on the link, i tried using the ss, but it wasn't as good.
what would you recommend ?
i HATE cane (on alto) but i'm willing to give it a go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The AL3 will work fine for what you want. Stick with it until you there is something you are trying to do and the mouthpiece is putting up a roadblock.

The key to a better sound is ALWAYS a combination of embouchure placement, throat opening, air speed and diaphragm support. Changing your mouthpiece won't make you sound any different. Changing embouchure, throat, etc. will. But it takes work and attention to detail.
i wasn't suggesting it would automatically, but rather with time, i've had the link for 3 days including today, and i've been taking it to work to practice isometrics when i get the chance, a la muscle memory, i forgot his name, but there was this skater saying he'd teach kids the ollie by them simply standing with the board in a position, and when muscle memory kicks in the rest is a cakewalk, similiar to how when i began squatting my coach wouldn't put me on ANY weight but the bar until weeks later, and i cought on with ease. i'm thinking this is the same thing as it's really singing today.

·
2,620 Posts
These are good questions. Do you like your current mouthpiece? If so, you don't need a new one (you have GAS). If you don't like it, what do you want to be different? Have you tried different reeds (they are cheaper than mouthpieces)?

You will get lots of different opinions because the choice of mouthpiece is so personal; while there are some general guidelines re tip opening/chamber size/baffle, etc., the bottom line is whether the mouthpiece gives you the sound and feel and response that you want.

·
2,620 Posts
i've clicked very well with the al3 from the get go, but if i can find something better i'm willing to take the leap to improve sound as i'm riding on an important audition.
i can't say what sound i'm aiming for, but at this point (as i'm unexperienced) i'm shooting in the dark i'd like a sound like fela or earl bostic.
nothing special just classical and jazz for the time being.
If you have an important audition coming up, don't change your mouthpiece now - use the one you are used to. If you don't know how you want it to be different, you will just be spending money buying a bunch of mouthpieces to try out. If you have enough money to do that, it is fine. I'm not sure where you are located, but it might be worth a trip to get to a store that lets you try a bunch of pieces, you can start to home in on what you like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,248 Posts
I agree that the Link is a lot more open and will require a much softer reed. Since you like the AL3, you might try an AL4. Same family, taller brother. For me the Links never worked on alto. I found that although I liked the sound, it was just way too tiring. The tenors and baris are some of my faves however.
I assume you are going after a classical/studio sound. That is my style and I use a Selmer S-80 D mostly for alto. There are just SOOO many to try.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are good questions. Do you like your current mouthpiece? If so, you don't need a new one (you have GAS). If you don't like it, what do you want to be different? Have you tried different reeds (they are cheaper than mouthpieces)?

You will get lots of different opinions because the choice of mouthpiece is so personal; while there are some general guidelines re tip opening/chamber size/baffle, etc., the bottom line is whether the mouthpiece gives you the sound and feel and response that you want.
I just wanted to try something new, i've considered getting the vandoren sampler pack. and i've also heard that plasticovers, and fibracells are crap, but i've heard they're good too, the problem for me is everyone is saying something is a certain way and being die hard to their opinion, even professionals are the same way, they've said wierd stuff to me. in example,

Cannonballs are overrated (agree)
a cannonball alcazar is better than a mk6 (stupid)
legeres are crap (stupid)
synthetic reeds don't work on baritone (disagree)
you can't necessarily have a metal sound on anything smaller than tenor (neutral)

you can't win with these people. "everyone is right"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you have an important audition coming up, don't change your mouthpiece now - use the one you are used to. If you don't know how you want it to be different, you will just be spending money buying a bunch of mouthpieces to try out. If you have enough money to do that, it is fine. I'm not sure where you are located, but it might be worth a trip to get to a store that lets you try a bunch of pieces, you can start to home in on what you like.
i've got the money to be returning, but don't have the patience to be playing games. i ordered my link with next day shipping and got it 4 days later due to company policies, which i understand, but if you're going to market, and price something you should hold your word to it, needless to say that's the last time i support the company.

i'm located in dfw, so it's a bust as the only places to go to are corporates i.e. guitar center, sam ash, etc., and as you know, their wind section is always a joke. the mom and pop store i frequent doesn't carry, or any for that matter. nor do the semi-legit stores i.e. brookmays, music and arts as they tend to cater to the beginner and starting intermediate players. they only carried yamaha stocks, chinese mpc's, and the selmer soloist, so it's not real diverse you know ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The "taller brother" of the AL3 is the AL5. The AL4 has a slightly wider tip opening but also a shorter facing. It responds differently from the AL3/AL5, and is brighter than either.
or so i've heard, i may give that a go, i haven't had the mpc so i'm going to give it a little more of a chance before i return it. i'll look into getting an exchange as i've considered the mouthpiece before, do you mind giving me the specs to the mouthpiece if you know them ?
i couldn't find the opening, etc. to my mpc's until b flat told me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts