Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Alto: Buescher Aristocrat, Tenor: Yanagisawa T880, Bari: Selmer La Voix II
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made a mouthpiece stand?

i was thinking of putting together a wooden mouthpiece stand with dowel pegs for my alto, tenor and baritone mouthpieces, but cant for the life of me find formal mouthpiece bore dimensions.

im thinking 12mm (0.47inch) dowel will do the job based on my measurements but thought someone here may be able to give me the formal dimensions

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,338 Posts
well, it hardly a surprise that you can’t find them, the reason being that there aren’t any standardizes sizes .

many made such “ stands” but the pegs aren’t fitting the shank exactly because they vary. This has been discussed many times in many threads asking why oh why isn’t there a standard size (because there isn’t and probably never will be)

these a re a few examples
1619785401296.png

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been looking at those and said to myself that really should be easy enough. Alto mouthpieces seem to be around 13mm and the baritones more like 16mm. Im really not enjoying the mouthpiece in drawer thing, so im going to give it a go. Will report back...

·
40,338 Posts
I think that you could use the idea of the O rings on pegs.

Similar to the discussion of using O rings instead of corks.

You can have pegs almost fitting and then putting different O rings to fit the mouthpiece snugly ( warburton uses this idea)

Neoprene Cylinders around pegs would work too

Reactions: Dave Dunn

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Im not sure they have to be super snug

been looking at felt washers based on the theo wanne example. Trumpet key felts may work

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,248 Posts
Im not a lover of peg stands. They keep mouthpieces out exposed to dust and bright light. Your hard rubber pieces will start to fade in a year or two...even if you keep them out of direct sunlight. They will reslly change in direct sunlight. Boxes, cases and drawers do serve a purpose. If you dont care if your black oieces start to go greenish then no big deal. Just know it will slowly begin to happen. You wont notice it until one day you do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Phil. I hadn’t considered that. Im finding the drawer approach very annoying when having a messing arounf with mouthpiece session, but your point is very well made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,248 Posts
Padded or soft plast dividers
Cheap plano tackle box with the lid ripped off

oh. You’re not in the US. Its a cheap Walmart solution there

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
plenty of tackle boxes in australia...... - was looking for something more elegant - but light damage should be considered re the classic HR mpcs

·
40,338 Posts
I think you can repurpose any box.... to achieve this result or buy one (mouthpieces are not included ;) :ROFLMAO: )

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,452 Posts
Has anyone ever made a mouthpiece stand?

i was thinking of putting together a wooden mouthpiece stand with dowel pegs for my alto, tenor and baritone mouthpieces, but cant for the life of me find formal mouthpiece bore dimensions.

im thinking 12mm (0.47inch) dowel will do the job based on my measurements but thought someone here may be able to give me the formal dimensions
This should work perfectly. I made my own using 1/2 inch dowels. I had pre-measured several of my soprano pieces (which have the smallest bore diameter) and found that 1/2" was as large as I could go and still accommodate them.

I also use it to hold alto, tenor, clarinet, and sometimes bass clarinet mouthpieces. The bass clarinet mouthpieces are a bit loose on it, but it works really well for all of the others.

Edit: here are some pics of my stand

One of the things I really like about it is that it's very compact. I typically keep it on a small shelf clamped to my mic stand.

Note that the pictures above are from a year or so ago. I've since rounded the edges (to make it even more compact) and added a couple more coats of Danish oil. The picture below shows the stand today, against a metric ruler. As you can see, it's only 15cm long by about 8.5cm wide.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Alto mouthpieces seem to be around 13mm...
Really? Got half-a-dozen hard rubber or plastic alto sax mouthpieces here, each by a different maker, spanning years 1960 - 2020. Just now measured shank inner diameters with a caliper. Four of them are 16 mm; two are 16.5 mm.

[Disclosure: It's a twenty-five buck hardware store caliper, so margin of error is +/- 0.2 mm.]

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
When I have a bunch of horns out, I just put the mouthpieces I'm using in a drawer, or in a paper sack, or something.

If you really want to do this, just measure all your mouthpieces and take 1 mm off the smallest of each type.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,149 Posts
I like the repurposed box lined with foam and fabric idea as it’s customizable and easy to store. Lots of nice cigar boxes or smaller cases meant for pistols, cameras, microphones and such out there that would work great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,831 Posts

Mouthpiece stand for bass saxophone mouthpieces only. The base was purchased at a craft store - Michael's, I think. The pegs were made from a dowel, and I finished it in polyurethane.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I want a mouthpiece dispenser. Like a vending machine or an old compact disc changer. Ooh with an app so I can type the mouthpiece on my phone and it pops out Jetsons style.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was reasonably amazed when i couldnt find a thread on this topic. I think i will create a small stand for use in specific sessions

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,452 Posts
I was reasonably amazed when i couldnt find a thread on this topic. I think i will create a small stand for use in specific sessions
There was one about a year ago (here). That's the thread that prompted me to try making my own. You should try looking for "mouthpiece rack" rather than "mouthpiece stand".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts