Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome find! I'm definitely gunna check 'em all out:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
anyone else know of site that have some good samples?
I've looked around and found occasional 1-2 mpc samples, but none like what this previous site mentioned does. Really like the idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
This sure is great work, my only problem is:

The recording levels and reverb seem to be different on some examples. Take the meyer 6m, lots of reverb. Others very dry. He doesnt always play the same tune, so it is hard to be subjective. Even swapping reeds has a massive impact on tone.

Plus don't forget it is how it sounds and feels when you play it that really counts:)

I heard some subtle differences between some of the "jazzier" mpcs, but nothing too startling. I would say the runyons with spoliers were very raucous and the beechler metals very thin and modern.

As someone requested, I plan to do some A/B testing to post here in the next two weeks. It will be the same tune, recorded at the same level with the same reed and horn, within seconds of each other. It will be on youtube with captions under each clip to avoid confusion.

It will be of:

Meyer 6M (main one)
Jody Jazz HR 5M (borrowed)
Selmer C* (just swapped to this to give my chops a break)
Vandoren A27 (my wife's old mpc)
Yamaha 4C (just for fun)

They will be on my Yamaha YAS-62. Or my new (old) Martin if it arrives on time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts