Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a tenor mouthpiece. I'm not entirely sure what I want, but I know I want to try out a handful before I buy. What shops in the bay area have a good selection to choose from? I know Saxology in Berkley has a good selection, but what others?

Side notes:
- what brands play well in tune with King Super 20s from your experience?
- I have about $250 saved up, should I save a little more before buying a nice mouthpiece? or is this a reasonable budget?

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Can you tell us a little more about your situation? What kind of experience do you have? What kind of music do you play, or like to play?

An alternative to the store is trial programs from some of the online stores like WWBW. You can get 4 mouthpieces for a 10 day trial (I think that includes ship back), and you only pay like $4 for the ones you send back.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not asking advice on what mouthpiece I should get. I'm mainly looking for the best places to shop.
And curious to see what mpcs others may have used on their S20 horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Union Music on Market Street in SF has a decent selection, are are happy to let you try as many as you want. They have Links, Jody Jazz, Vandoren, Selmer and a smattering of others. They are owned by the same folks as A&G Music in Oakland, but I think the SF store has a bigger selection. I think Best Music on Broadway in Oakland has a decent selection, too - I'm just not as familiar with it. Eric Drake (Saxology) has a lot of vintage pieces and pieces that he has refaced, and will let you try as many as you want. I think he tends to have more Links than others.

$250 is plenty for a hard rubber piece (I think it will get you most of Eric's refaced vintage pieces); some metal pieces will run higher. I haven't played a Super 20 (I would love to try one someday), but my Cleveland was pretty happy with a Vandoren V16HR and a Berg Larsen HR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bronstein's Music in Daly City also has a decent selection, and they will let you try out as many as you like. They're also nice guys, and they do good repair/maintenance work.

Also, Lee's Sax Worx on 19th and Taraval (SF) has an ok selection, and they do great sax repair. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Au contraire, mon frère. I've gotten some great pieces from Eric at Saxology in the $250 range.

$250 won't get you all that far at Saxology. That place is PRICEY.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Au contraire, mon frère. I've gotten some great pieces from Eric at Saxology in the $250 range.
Yup, I was checking out his vintage refaced HR Bergs (he had three), and they were all $225; I am guessing the HR Links are probably around the same.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In answer to your question about a good mouthpiece for a Super 20, I have had great results with a Jody Jazz HR*. My Super 20 is an old one (1948) and the JJ really seems to make it sing. Not a lot of places seem to stock Jody Jazz, but I have ordered pieces from Woodwind & Brasswind, who have a 45 day trial period.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,023 Posts
Metalite, $20 at WWBW.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Eric at Saxology has the best selection, but he tends to sell pretty interesting mouthpieces rather than typical stock hence the prices. Worth going for sure though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts