Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a made in China copy of the Guardala Fatboy (tenor) and really like the mouthpiece. It's pretty close to the original, which I owned years ago. Anyway, I also use a solid silver neck (from the same company) and either the mouthpiece is too small, or the neck is too wide, or a combination of both. I sanded down the cork to where I can play in tune, but so much cork was removed it's starting to show the silver neck in spots. No leak so far but I'd like to repair this. I'm wondering if there's a super thin material that I can use on the neck, or worst case have the mouthpiece reamed out a bit. I don't know if I would trust myself on the process though. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Music Medic sells cork in various thicknesses. 1/16" is the most common size used. There is also 3/64", 1/32", and 1/64". I would suggest you measure the inside diameter of the mouthpiece shank and the diameter of the neck (uncorked) near the front. Next subtract the neck size from the shank size and divide by 2. Choose a thickness of cork just slightly larger than that number and install it on the neck. Then it should require minimum sanding, if any, for the mouthpiece to fit. There are several videos on line that show how to replace a neck cork.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,447 Posts
Or put a new cork on and then ream out the shank of the mpc to increase its inner diameter slightly to fit. I've never had to do this, but I've read on here that it can be done fairly easily (look it up).

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,125 Posts
I have a made in China copy of the Guardala Fatboy (tenor) and really like the mouthpiece. It's pretty close to the original, which I owned years ago. Anyway, I also use a solid silver neck (from the same company) and either the mouthpiece is too small, or the neck is too wide, or a combination of both. I sanded down the cork to where I can play in tune, but so much cork was removed it's starting to show the silver neck in spots. No leak so far but I'd like to repair this. I'm wondering if there's a super thin material that I can use on the neck, or worst case have the mouthpiece reamed out a bit. I don't know if I would trust myself on the process though. Any ideas?
I'd ream it. Find a wooden dowel of the approximate diameter of the tube + cork and wrap some fine sandpaper around it then slowly and carefully ream it until the piece fits. Make sure you keep it cylindrical and don't create an oblong opening. I would ream it by turning the dowel back and forth rather than pushing and pulling it in and out.

So long as you don't touch the table, rails and tip you won't change the musical properties of the MPC.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably get the 1/32" cork and see how tight it is after installing the new cork. If it's still tight I'll ream the mpc. BTW, what are people using for glue these days, Crazy Glue, or the traditional dark brown stuff that's used on pads?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,913 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably get the 1/32" cork and see how tight it is after installing the new cork. If it's still tight I'll ream the mpc. BTW, what are people using for glue these days, Crazy Glue, or the traditional dark brown stuff that's used on pads?
The usual adhesive for corks is contact cement.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I did the dowel + sandpaper thing to exactly this same mouthpiece (Eastern Music FatBoy). I tried contacting them about it to see if they might sell me another one with a slightly less tight shank but they said no. I must say even though I was able to sand enough of the mouthpiece to get it to fit, I felt a little weird about the metal dust afterwards. Probably should have worn a mask…

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did the dowel + sandpaper thing to exactly this same mouthpiece (Eastern Music FatBoy). I tried contacting them about it to see if they might sell me another one with a slightly less tight shank but they said no. I must say even though I was able to sand enough of the mouthpiece to get it to fit, I felt a little weird about the metal dust afterwards. Probably should have worn a mask…
Yes, it's the Eastern Fatboy. The neck is also made by Eastern. Funny how their mpc doesn't fit their own neck properly. I ordered 1mm cork, which is half as thick as the cork I have on hand. I won't do anything until I install the new cork. Maybe I'll get lucky and the thinner cork will work, without doing the shank sanding. This would be a easy job for a metal lathe, which I don't have, but misalignment in the lathe would be a disaster. Safer to do it by hand, I guess. BTW, I like the mpc enough that I ordered a second one, and keep it as a spare. The neck is also very nice, and comparable to a solid silver Yamaha neck I once owned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,699 Posts
Yes, it's the Eastern Fatboy. The neck is also made by Eastern. Funny how their mpc doesn't fit their own neck properly…
Contact the company - perhaps they will send you an exchange mouthpiece with the correct bore ID.

·
36,699 Posts
@Zasterz, above, said he tried that and they said, "No."
Thanks. Apologies to Zasterz for missing that.

That is worth having its own thread with a prominent and explicit title to warn other potential buyers, ex. “Eastern Music Fatboy Mouthpiece Does Not Fit Eastern Music Neck” or similar. Then send Eastern Music a polite notice with an opportunity to address SotW with their suggestion of how to accommodate the issue.

Reactions: Zasterz

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks. Apologies to Zasterz for missing that.

That is worth having its own thread with a prominent and explicit title to warn other potential buyers, ex. “Eastern Music Fatboy Mouthpiece Does Not Fit Eastern Music Neck” or similar. Then send Eastern Music a polite notice with an opportunity to address SotW with their suggestion of how to accommodate the issue.
I did bring this up on the big main thread about this mouthpiece several months ago. Too lazy to search for it now, but there’s some discussion about the issue there. As I recall most other users were ok with the diameter even when they did find it a bit small.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did bring this up on the big main thread about this mouthpiece several months ago. Too lazy to search for it now, but there’s some discussion about the issue there. As I recall most other users were ok with the diameter even when they did find it a bit small.
Yes, as they say "it is what it is". I wouldn't hesitate to re-order anything from this company. Their customer service is fantastic and they seem to care about their customers. I ordered their Ref 54 copy, and requested it with white pearl keys, instead of the dark pearl that was shown in the eBay. They made one special and didn't charge me extra for the change, plus I got it in about 2 weeks from China, and in perfect playing condition. So far I ordered 1 sax, 3 mouthpieces, and the silver neck from them. Very happy with the quality on all, and you can't beat their prices. I just got back from a gig using the Ref 54 copy and the Fatboy copy and couldn't be happier.

·
36,699 Posts
Was your issue that the Fatboy bore was generally smaller than other pieces, or explicitly not compatible with the Eastern Music neck?

Reactions: Zasterz

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, as they say "it is what it is". I wouldn't hesitate to re-order anything from this company. Their customer service is fantastic and they seem to care about their customers. I ordered their Ref 54 copy, and requested it with white pearl keys, instead of the dark pearl that was shown in the eBay. They made one special and didn't charge me extra for the change, plus I got it in about 2 weeks from China, and in perfect playing condition. So far I ordered 1 sax, 3 mouthpieces, and the silver neck from them. Very happy with the quality on all, and you can't beat their prices. I just got back from a gig using the Ref 54 copy and the Fatboy copy and couldn't be happier.
I also really love this mouthpiece, and had heard about Eastern Music responding helpfully to requests, so I was hopeful they would help with the shank issue. Instead they directed me to ream it out myself. I ended up finding a similar design by Shaksama (in plastic) for a good price, so I’ve been using that since, but if they ever fix this I would buy another.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was your issue that the Fatboy bore was generally smaller than other pieces, or explicitly not compatible with the Eastern Music neck?
I just tried a new Otto Link metal on the silver neck and it's too large. It probably would have been ok had I not sanded down the cork. It looks like the neck is ok, but the mouthpiece is the culprit. Maybe they should change the name from Fatboy to Slimboy!

·
36,699 Posts
I just tried a new Otto Link metal on the silver neck and it's too large. It probably would have been ok had I not sanded down the cork. It looks like the neck is ok, but the mouthpiece is the culprit. Maybe they should change the name from Fatboy to Slimboy!
Fatboy in skinny pants… Not an attractive combination.

Reactions: Danny Troy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts