Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mouthpiece scrath

948 Views 17 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  nigeld
I was using this cheap ligature and it scraped my mouthpiece, is there any way to remove this?

Cosmetics Font Tints and shades Eye liner Office supplies
See less See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Not easily. Sorry. It won't hurt anything though. Purely cosmetic. It's easy to make it worse and the Vandoren logo comes off super easily as well, so I'd leave it and keep playing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Reactions: 3
Been there - learn your lesson and don't do it twice!
You could buff those scratches out if you really wanted to, but I personally wouldn't worry.
Reactions: 1
Best to leave it alone. They are deep enough you would have to sand it with 3 different grits and then buff and polish it with compound. If you dont know what you are doing you will make a mess of it. Sadly some expensive ligatures damage pieces too. As said, its just cosmetic but a bummer.
Reactions: 5
Best to leave it alone. They are deep enough you would have to sand it with 3 different grits and then buff and polish it with compound. If you dont know what you are doing you will make a mess of it. Sadly some expensive ligatures damage pieces too. As said, its just cosmetic but a bummer.
Pretty sure the "ultimate" in the FL Ultimate ligature means it's the ultimate mouthpiece scratcher.
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
The Pure Brass version is more forgiving.
I use this ligature https://saxclinic.com/ because only the cord touches the mpc and (fingers crossed) won't scratch it.
I typically use a basic metal 2 screw or a vandoren lig and I get no scratches. Its pretty important for me since I work on other peoples mouthpieces. I have expensive lig but honestly dont find a huge difference as long as they fit.
Reactions: 2
Pretty sure the "ultimate" in the FL Ultimate ligature means it's the ultimate mouthpiece scratcher.
I use them on HR and metal mouthpieces since they came out, and my mouthpieces are not scratched up. You must be encountering some operator error issues. The worst scratches that I’ve seen have come from people using the wrong size Rovner.

Regarding the OP: That scratch is too deep to buff out without removing too much material. The good news is that it doesn’t affect the critical regions that affect how it plays.
I'll second that - I have gone down that road and by the time you polish off enough material to get rid of the deep scratch, you have rounded off that edge, and that will bug you more than the scratch did.
On the Rovner ligs, (excluding the 'Platinum' ones), about the only way to scratch a mouthpiece with them is using one that's too small, causing the screw to contact the top of the mouthpiece. This is pretty rare, and many players actually choose Rovners at least partially because they normally cause no ligature damage at all.
Yeah, I have to wonder how far out of it you've got to be to take a Rovner ligature and stretch it so far over a MP it OBVIOUSLY doesn't fit, till the top screw's digging into the mouthpiece.

Dude! It doesn't freaking FIT!
Yeah, I have to wonder how far out of it you've got to be to take a Rovner ligature and stretch it so far over a MP it OBVIOUSLY doesn't fit, till the top screw's digging into the mouthpiece.

Dude! It doesn't freaking FIT!
Nothing is idiot-proof. Somebody will inevitably find a better idiot.
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I recently bought a Meyer Bros New York (the re-issue) from a shop heavily discounted because it had been used as a demo piece and got similar ligature scratches. The scratches sit under my ligature and are not visible at all.
I have considered removing them but actually I'm with the advice on this thread as they do no harm at all.
It's worse than imagined - get out the sledgehammer.

Gallagher Watermelon GIFs | Tenor220 × 152
See less See more
I have found that scratches on the outside of my mouthpieces only affect tone very slightly. Hardly at all. Next to nothing. Barely noticeable. If at all.
I have found that scratches on the outside of my mouthpieces only affect tone very slightly. Hardly at all. Next to nothing. Barely noticeable. If at all.
It makes your tone, well...........scratchy.
It makes your tone, well...........scratchy.
Or groovy.
Reactions: 3
1 - 18 of 18 Posts