Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I had an idea this morning..........I have the ability to add stars and ratings to my mouthpiece reviews. Up to this point I have only used these for my video lessons but this morning I had the thought that it would be cool to add them to the mouthpiece reviews. That way other people can come on and add their own reviews in the comments section below my review. I think this would be a great way to get a broader idea of what different players think of the mouthpieces I review. Here's an example http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/04/warburton-la-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/

If you go down to the bottom of the page you can add a comment and below that check how many stars you would give the mouthpiece. This is isn't to rate the review but the actual mouthpiece.

What do you guys think? This would also be a great way to judge consistency within a brand. If I get a "brand name" mouthpiece and it blows me away and then 12 other people order one and 11 of them hate it then you can see the results. If all 12 love them then you can judge by that.

Let me know what you think. I haven't implemented this yet as it would take a bit of work but I thought it was a good idea. Thanks, Steve

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a boat load of responses...........I went through today and put ratings on all the mouthpiece reviews. These are totally subjective based on my experiences and feeling. Because many of the reviews were years ago it is also based on my memories of the mouthpiece. I voted 1-5 stars. 5 stars is a mouthpiece that blew me away and that I had to have. 4 stars is a mouthpiece that was really great. 3 stars was a mouthpiece that is better than average. 2.5 would be one that is average, 2 would be one that is average or lower and 1 is just plain awful.

I've put my rating on all the mouthpieces I have played. If you want to add your own you are welcome to. It has an equal weight as my review. If I play a mouthpiece and give it a 5 (the best) and you play it and give it a 1 (the worst) then the rating will average out to a 3.

I'm hoping more players will get involved with this so we can get a bigger picture.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steve,
I think that's a great idea! I'm on your site about 4-5 times a week. That would be a helpful reference - especially for the ones that were done some time ago. BTW, have you tried one of the new Jody Jazz CHI models? I'm curious about them.

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve,
I think that's a great idea! I'm on your site about 4-5 times a week. That would be a helpful reference - especially for the ones that were done some time ago. BTW, have you tried one of the new Jody Jazz CHI models? I'm curious about them.
No, I haven't tried one of those yet. I've talked to Jody a few times over the years and he has said he would send some pieces for me to review but nothing has ever come of it. I don't want to keep bothering him................

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
If you are still taking opinions I will add that I am not thrilled with using stars for anything of importance. I think you provide thoughtful write ups to pieces. Reducing it to stars is a gross simplification of the work you do. I think too many people will simply check the star ratings and miss the important information you provide.

Thats just my 2 cents. Maybe Im old fashioned and out dated.

....Im ok with that.

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are still taking opinions I will add that I am not thrilled with using stars for anything of importance. I think you provide thoughtful write ups to pieces. Reducing it to stars is a gross simplification of the work you do. I think too many people will simply check the star ratings and miss the important information you provide.

Thats just my 2 cents. Maybe Im old fashioned and out dated.

....Im ok with that.
I'm open to more input. Thanks. I need more people to get involved. I have hundreds of people email me about mouthpieces and I would love for them to post their own opinions and reviews but few ever do. I was thinking if I could make it simple and no nonsense maybe more people would post........ The stars don't tell the whole story. I might give my wife 5 stars but another fellow might give her 1. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I've had mouthpieces that were a 3 for me that others bought and are in heaven. On the other hand, I sold a few 5's to people and they wanted to return them. The numbers are only a way to get people to post their own thoughts..........At the end of the day, I would like more opinions than just mine on there. Steve

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the numbers might just convey that I wasn't into a certain sound for me. Too bright or dark for my tastes. I put a Jazzmaster as a 3 I believe because it was too dark for my tastes. A person into dark might give it a 5. That's why I'm hoping others will post their reviews and ratings and over time it will balance out if that makes sense.

·
2,319 Posts
I think posting the review and reasons must be included for any star rating to make any sense. So, for example, if you felt the Jazzmaster was too dark, and having stated that in your review, and I tried it and gave it a 4 rating without stating, for example, that I liked the darkness of it, and its free blowing quality, my 4 would have no comparative relevance.
The only thing keeping me from participating would be lack of funds to purchase any more mouthpieces!:)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Steve, I really like your mouthpiece reviews! I almost like that there's no star system. Seems like you give every piece a fair shake, even if it's not really your cup of tea. Great job!

·
12,710 Posts
Steve, why not have several elements of the piece to rate if you are going to use that system. It would give a little more on sight info and perhaps tease out a bit of subjectivity.

For example:

Response ***
Tone ****
Construction ***
Value **

Just a thought

·
2,319 Posts
Maybe set it up like the SOTW polls where we can see how many 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, etc. each mouthpiece gets. It puts things in a better perspective when we can see how many are in the voting pool. Averages can be deceiving, especially with a low amount of voters.

·
3,287 Posts
Steve, why not have several elements of the piece to rate if you are going to use that system. It would give a little more on sight info and perhaps tease out a bit of subjectivity.

For example:

Response ***
Tone ****
Construction ***
Value **

Just a thought
+1

That's what I was going to suggest.

Maybe things like resistance and altissimo could be rated as well.

·
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

For example:

Response ***
Tone ****
Construction ***
Value **

Just a thought
How's this?

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2011/04/warburton-la-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece/

If you go yo the bottom you can add your own review using the stars. You can't vote using the stars without writing something though.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts